Looking for firewall similar to Sygate's

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ohblu, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I am looking for a free firewall, for XP, that is very similar to Sygate Personal Firewall 5.1 (free version). I have tried Comodo and something else (I can't remember the name) and was not happy with them. I felt that configuring them was significantly more difficult than configuring Sygate's firewall which was actually a breeze. This is not for my computer, but for my grandmother's computer. I'm actually tempted to just install the Sygate firewall since it would be better than nothing even though it is years out-of-date. She has a hardware firewall and Windows firewall enabled, but she obviously needs something more. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. fax

fax Registered Member

IMO, one of the nearest to Sygate way of working (application oriented, server/clients/internet zones) is ZoneAlarm.

Fax

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Agreed :thumb:

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think this one is based on Sygate:

http://www.fortknox-firewall.com/

5. risl

risl Registered Member

There's also sunbelt personal firewall.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree that Zone Alarm free is close from what I have seen of it.

7. risl

risl Registered Member

I was looking for this kind of firewall myself, and the sunbelt firewall felt lighter on my computer than zonealarm. It's based on Kerio 4 and will turn to a limited free edition after 30 days. The free edition has basic 2-way filtering, paid edition has some hips and web content filtering capabilities.

8. bollity

bollity Registered Member

i used sygate for 3 years before i decided to try other recent firewalls.
    i tried nearly all firewalls.now i'm using pc tools firewall. very easy , light, powerfull.
    if you want install it on grandmother computer just choose normal user and disable enhanced security verfication ESV. and use it with a good antivirus.

9. the Tester

One thing to consider with Zone Alarm free is the ZA Toolbar.

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

11. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

In addition to basic 2-way filtering, free or paid Sunbelt FW permits to build detailed packet rules exactly like in Kerio 2.1.5 though with a better GUI. At which point the application filtering similar to ZA is superfluous. The things that don't work in a free version is HIPS and web guard for scripts, ads, popups activeX, site-specific settings, all that isn't in free.
    Free will use about 23meg, paid 28meg.
    I find it nice to use and very sturdy.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hi fax...
    The ask search engine is still an optional part of the Za toolbar in the latest pro version,and can be shown or hidden as desired though i guess that is different to the complete ask toolbar.
    ellison

14. fax

fax Registered Member

Nope It is NOT. Have you actually installed it?? Ask toolbar was NEVER in any retail version of ZA. Only in ZA Free before November 09.
    The toolbar that comes with ZA has NO ASK search engine. It is a security toolbar (phishing and site rating) developed internally by ZA.

Wonder why everybody keep posting without actually checking what they post. :mad:

Fax

15. ellison64

The pro version has a search engine that can be optionally enabled and is the ask search engine.I cant comment on the free version.

Attached Files:

16. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi
    I don't know why you are insisting posting WRONG information. The screeshot are probably related to an old version of ZA. PLEASE check yourself by actually installing the latest versions 9.1.XXX.XXX

Fax

17. ellison64

Hi fax..
    I dont know what your problem is ,but please dont accuse me of posting intentional wrong information.I AM using the latest version of ZA pro and the screenshots are genuine.
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html

Attached Files:

18. fax

fax Registered Member

I can't see any search here both in FREE OR PRO... nor I can turn it ON. I see only the pure toolbar without the search engine. NO offense intended. Sorry if it was the case.

No idea why you do :) May be someone else could confirm?

Cheers,
    Fax

19. ellison64

Hmmm now i am confused.What installer have you used Fax?.I used zapSetup_91_008_000_en.exe installer.The ZA browser security toolbar is version 1.5.53.4.
    Can you confirm?
    Thank you
    ellison

20. fax

fax Registered Member

21. ellison64

The search bar doesnt show with default settings here.It has to be ticked by clciking the ZA toolbar >settings.Under the general tab tick "Enable search box into toolbar".Its no big problem for me as it just uses the ask search engine rather than google or any other.
    ellison

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    Can't re-test now. In any case, saying that it will install the ASK toolbar is at least misleading since even assuming it is there, it is OFF by default.

Cheers,
    Fax

23. ellison64

Hi fax..
    I never said that it installed the ask toolbar ,just that the ZA search feature uses the ask search engine if its enabled.Going back to the OPs search for a firewall similar to sygate ,i would also recommend ZA,as an alternative or fortknox for a clone of it.
    ellison

24. fax

fax Registered Member

A post referred to "ASK toolbar" that once upon a time was part of ZA free by default. Now its completely different. This is why my original reaction.
    For me the issue is closed and sorry to the OP if we went offtopic. It was needed to avoid any misunderstandings around potentially unwanted ZA features :)

Cheers,
    Fax

25. the Tester

What I saw was the Zone Alarm toolbar that integrated into Firefox.
    Can't speak about the ASK toolbar as I didn't see it.
    This was the latest free version and I didn't do the default install,but I think that the ZA toolbar would be the "Browser Protection" feature which is optional.

I didn't care for it because of the space it takes on the browser screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.