Looking for encryption app

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 666, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Genady,

I agree with you and in general feel better/more secure with open-source software. The only problem is how do we know who, if anyone, is checking the code and what their qualifications are to do so. Also, I do believe that closed-source software can be as good and as secure as open-source. This is mainly based on logic:

If a security software company produces a product that is eventually determined to not work, is garbage, etc., their business will be ruined. It is in their best interest to produce a good and effective product that is secure and works.​

The other problem I see with cryptographic-related software is that we generally have to take other people's word that it is secure and works as promised. Unfortunately, there is no standardized testing (such as av-comparatives for AVs).

Take care and looking forward to your thoughts.

2. 666

666 Registered Member

...and so is Blowfish ACS, which has a better choice of algorithms than AxCrypt and doesn't make you move your files into a virtual drive like Truecrypt.

Either way, encryption only works if you use it, so usability is just as important as the key length or whether the user interface that runs in front of the Blowfish or AES algorithm is open source or not. Even the best encryption method in the world is useless if it's hidden behind some clumsy cluttered interface that makes you skip encrypting your files because nobody will steal your laptop in those five tiny little minutes that you go for a coffee.

The willingness to take risks increases proportionally to the amount of work it takes to avoid those risks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.