Looking for encryption app

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by 666, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 666

666 Registered Member

I'm looking for a new file encryption app to replace ShellCrypt. Preferably something that works like ShellCrypt, looks like ShellCrypt, but locks down my files beter than ShellCrypt does.

Features that my new encryption app MUST have:

- run on Windows XP
    - encryption of individual files no matter where they are (no cryptainer-like encrypted virtual drives)
    - shell integration
    - an "encrypt-and-hide" option that encrypts the file and gives it a random name
    - user defined extension exclusion list ("do not encrypt .ini, .exe, etc")
    - better lock than ShellCrypts flimsy 56-bit blowfish

AxCrypt, BitCrypt, Cryptainer, ShellCrypt, and TrueCrypt don't have all the features I want. Does anyone know an app that does it all?

2. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

You may give a try to Fine-Crypt http://www.crypto-systems.com/ or Cryptosuite http://www.ghostsecurity.com/cryptosuite/ , although the don't have they file extension exclusion feature as far as i'm informed.

3. 666

666 Registered Member

Thanx for the links.

Unfortunately, both apps lack:

To which I should have added: "...and restores the original name upon decryption."

A file name reveals quite a lot. Manual renaming is a lot of work, keeping track of all the original names is even worse.

Keep the sugestions flowing. I know there must be an app out there with all the features I want.

4. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

You're welcome.

hm, i see....Zero Footprint Crypt (freeware!) http://www.baroufasoft.net/zerofootprint1.htm creates random file names and restores the original filename after decryption again. Encryption algorithms are Blowfish, Twofish, 3DES, RC4, Serpent and Rijndael.

However, i didn't find the file type exclusion feature, but i have played only a little around with this program.

5. 666

666 Registered Member

Thanx again. Zero Footprint Crypt is a bit closer to what I want.

But there are two things...

- Right-clicking and encrypting/decrypting a file (or set of files) launches a full-blown explorer-type Zero Footprint window, which you'll have to close manually after you're done encrypting or decrypting. I'd like my encryption app to ask for my password, do its job, and go away quietly. The less clicks the better.

- Generating a random file name is either on or off in Zero Footprint. I like ShellCrypts method of letting me choose to hide the file name or not without having to go into the settings screen. Like this:

http://i17.tinypic.com/4cib50p.jpg

Almost there. With so many encryption apps out there, there must be one that has it all.

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I think Blowfish Advanced CS is just what you want. See it here. I believe it has everything you want, just take the time and play around with all the settings. Some of them are presented to you when you encrypt a file. Good luck.

7. 666

666 Registered Member

Thanx! That's an excellent program!

Is there a way to make the context menu a little less crowded? I'd like to keep the "encrypt" and "decrypt" context menu items and remove the others:

http://i14.tinypic.com/2wf1xxw.jpg

8. Syn

Syn Registered Member

You could try and remove them manually from the registry. I think they are stored here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\bfaCSMenu

Tell me if it works out for you. ;)

9. n8chavez

That will not work. If you delete the entries you do not want you will simply be left with duplicate entries for the context menue items that are still present.

10. 666

666 Registered Member

Almost...

Blowfish ACS filled the empty spaces in the context menu by repeating the remaining entries:

http://i14.tinypic.com/300rv3t.jpg

Of course, the original commands are hidden under those extra "Decrypt" entries, so clicking the wrong "Decrypt" option starts the file wipe tool...

11. 666

666 Registered Member

Is there another way to get rid of 'em?

12. n8chavez

Not that I can see. Blowfish Advanced CS is no longer in developement so I think you are stuck with it's current limitations, if indeed you call that a limitation. Why don't you keep the entries? They can be very useful, especially the 'wipe' entry. It will make sure files are securely erased.

13. Syn

Syn Registered Member

Has anyone managed to test the wipe facility? For example, compared to the popular Eraser program?

14. n8chavez

I haven't yet. I plan to in the future. Although even if it was good and proved that files were unrecoverable once wiped I think I'd still use Eraser, as I do now. I also very much like sdelete.

15. 666

666 Registered Member

Because I like my context menus uncluttered. Things that I rarely (or never) use can be buried in the main program interface.

Unfortunately the unwanted extras are hardcoded in bfacslib.dll (ctxmenu.cpp in the uncompiled source), so I'll have to rebuild it to edit the context menu.

16. Syn

Syn Registered Member

I've already tried hex-editing an uncompiled version of bfacslib.dll with no luck, however I have come across some unusual phrases present in the dll file.

One of them: hellooo nurse!
    Another: whoa nelly, says Sherman, the Shark

Any idea on those? :blink:

17. 666

666 Registered Member

18. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

My guess is that if you keep the key named decyrpt then you can delete the others.

19. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

PKWare is offering a free version of SecureZIP. This is a compression and encryption program.

You can get it here.

You can get info about it here.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  20. InfinityAz

I like and use Blowfish Advanced CS. You can use the non-install version and carry/use it from a flash drive. Plus, it offers the ability to work with a file (i.e., double click the file to unencrypt it, make changes, save the file, and it is encrypted with your changes automatically.

21. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Reading through this thread, I just had a thought I wanted to share...

The quality of encryption is vastly more important than "features" such as shell integration and what shows up on right-click and what doesn't. If you take your security and privacy seriously, these things are of little importance.

Truecrypt and AxCrypt are open source and can do everything you NEED to protect your documents. There may be things you WANT but if the security is questionable - or unknown - it is worthless.

22. Syn

Syn Registered Member

We all take our security and privacy seriously, we just like a little bit of functionality to make it more usable and productive. Also, the security is neither questionable or unknown in this case. :)

23. Genady Prishnikov

If it's a commercial, closed-source application - the security is indeed questionable and unknown.

24. InfinityAz

So, you're saying the reverse is true:

Because it's an open-source application and many people can examine the code, test the algorithms, etc., the security is known and not questioned (i.e., 100% secure).

See this information here about open-source versus closed-source software and security.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  25. Genady Prishnikov

I read the article in the link. I saw it as confirmation of my view. Is open source perfect? Obviously not (if nobody is looking at the code). Is it infinitely better than closed-source? Of course! With closed-source, we know NOBODY is looking at the code. A good UI does not a good encryption app make. In fact, it's usually just the opposite; the old, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull&%#"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.