Looking for comments on this article

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

The article linked to below is about how to get Internet service if your ISPs DNS server goes down. I found it interesting from this respect but even more interesting was the info available from checking into pages for services mentioned in the article. These were for Open NIC and Hotspot Shield. In addition the following statement was made in the article

It sounds to me as if this is a way to get free Internet service since you can bypass your ISPs network,,,,,or am I misunderstanding something. Also, is using a service like Hotspot Shield a good idea? Are there any benefits or negatives that you would know of,,,,well, the supposed benefits are listed on their web site,,,,are they exaggerating or are they legit?

The article the above came from can be found at

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/504377/how-to-stay-connected-when-internet-goes-down/

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The DNS servers are just basically a directory service. When you type "www.google.com" into the address bar, your system calls up a DNS server to find the numeric (IP) address of the server so that it knows where to go. Your ISP generally hosts DNS servers, but you can use any available DNS servers that you want; many here use the Norton DNS servers which block known malware domains. This doesn't affect your service.

The main benefits of a VPN are to anonomize your traffic and/or to provide a more secure connection when using a public hotspot (people sharing a public hotspot could potentially intercept your internet traffic).

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Understood, thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.