Looking for balanced, quiet protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MarkW, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkW

MarkW Registered Member

I'm about to plug in a brand new system and am installing security. I am far from an IT professional and as such am in search for a quiet layering of protection that doesn't overly-tax my system. Specifically, I'm asking about real time protection.

I'm choosing to run XP for as long as possible. My system which doubles as a DAW (digital audio workstation) is:

Intel D975XBX2KR Bad Axe 2 Mobo, Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.4GHz E6600, Corsair 4GB [2(2 x 1GB kit)] 5300 DDR2 SDRAM, NVidia 8600GT Graphics, PreSonus Firebox Firewire audio interface/sound card recording system, 4 Seagate 320GB 7200.10 16MB cache HDDs. Seagate External Backup.

Based on past experience and what I've learned in the last couple months, my thoughts are leaning toward:

1. CounterSpy v2
    2. Nod32 v3
    3. Outpost Firewall Pro + hard router
    4. ella for SpamControl

I intend to have have Ccleaner, Search & Destroy and SAS on call and I use Ccleaner daily (habit). I've used Prevx for over a year but am thinking of dropping it. Also, I'm thinking of replacing Spy Sweeper with CounterSpy. I practice very safe hex - my last infection was 2003.

Given the current state of affairs, are there any holes in the above 4 together that y'all would recommend I address?

Thanks,
    -Mark

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Your setup is more than enough.

3. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I had dropped Prevx also but loaded in on a fresh image with nothing to worry about getting infected and took it for a spin to the dark side. After a couple hours of trying to get infected and letting Prevx do its thing I came away with a new appreciation for it. I did a bunch of scans with different av's and they didn't find anything. Needless to say I wiped the image and started afresh before loading anything on. I know that they are more into pushing their CSI product but I think the 2.0 version is still pretty decent protection.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi MarkW,
    Have you considered using a lighter security line-up by adding Virtualization? Though I am obviously biased towards a particular application, the concept is sound and there are several alternatives in the space. It would add a curative element that the other applications you are looking at can't provide...

Just a thought
    Mike

5. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Hmmm and I think I know that certain virtulization app that Coldmoon is talking about. And its a good one. :thumb:

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Returnil is for the simple minded like me,just rightclick on icon to get immediate protection.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Mark,
    I agree with Coldmoon. It would be a safe way to go.
    I went a different route.
    I have an old machine that's still working, but it is not fast at all.
    So I need to keep my protection working while not using much resources. And I hate noisy software.
    Here's what I use:
    Avira Personal Premium.
    OA2
    Router w/SPI and NAT
    SAS on-demand
    Sandboxie

Good luck
    Hugger

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I would add SpywareBlaster to that. Other than that, though, it looks fine.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Returnil is simply ridiculously effective and runs smooth as silk as well as SILENT!!

Returnil virtualization, especially using MEMORY containment, is as good as it gets.

It's perfectly balanced like you're interested in and as i said simple & silent.

Session Manager is but one great SPECTACULAR! feature that immediately transfers file writes OFF the actual disk and into the artificial or MEMORY field for Maximum Protection!

So i have to throw a plug in for Returnil too because of crazy ease of use, infinitely effective with no afteraffect distortions commonly encountered sometimes with some apps.

Very well worth a serious consideration IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.