Looking for an on-demand scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ssj100, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I never use the N word. :isay:

2. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Then maybe it's because the help you read isn't clear, or even confusing. Anyway sorry for being rude ;)
    You can also make a portable version of Norton Security Scan 2.0 by installing it on your computer then just copy the installation folder to you flash drive, as it's only an on-demand scanner :D

3. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Strange. o_O I remember I tried the v2 black Norton recently but it didn't remove.

4. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

OMG you're right I've just re-installed it and found out that cleaning function has been recently removed from the product.

Sorry again raven211 :(

Old and new screenshots.

Attached Files:

5. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

6. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

try both 3 and 3.5 and both crashes after 1 minuets scanning :thumbd:

7. demoneye

your set up is the best can be set , as avira the flag ship of the scan arrow ;)

8. Retadpuss

Hi. Im Beta testing for them. Please can you tell me your OS and any other security software you are running. Did you get an error message, if so, please tell me what it is?

Many thanks.

Puss

9. demoneye

no error msg just a close up

using Xp sp3 with no security (only cis disabled)

10. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

NP, man :) - glad we got it sorted. ;)

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I see they added Gdata to the other engines,very impressive.:thumb:

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

AVG is providing a technology preview for an on-demand scanner. No installation is required. It's like a portable anti-virus. Not like ClamWin or BitDefender Free. It's real on-demand scanner.

You need to register to their betas, though.

13. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

New version of Hitman Pro works great (Vista 32).

Retadpuss, the previous version had a check box to 'scan computer daily after login'. Do you know if that feature was switched off because of user request, or to prevent slowing down boot-up? I actually liked that feature. :)

Overall, quick scan and like the new version design (although minor, looks good).

14. Retadpuss

Hmmm. Build 46 should have a check box "Scan computer daily during computer startup" (may suggest changing the wording there) in the settings menu. There was an issue with this under Vista UAC, but It is resslved now in the current build.

Please can you verify your build and that the check box is there. If not, please let me know details of your OS and other security software you gave running.

Thanks.

Puss

15. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Yes indeed.

Same here. Like it much more that previous. It's has hast scanning and better response time.

16. andyman35

It's a very nice additional scanner and having all those top products in it should make it very effective.:thumb:

17. Saraceno

All good, using build 46. Just saw the checkbox. :thumb:

Agree with renegade and andyman, nice scanner. 30-day removal or unlimited scanning isn't bad either. Reasonably priced, comes free if you buy Nod, Avira or a-squared. See link. I'm liking it.

18. Saraceno

ssj100, it's using prevx to scan a user's system.

If you haven't used prevx, drop some malware samples on your system, scan with prevx and see how quickly it identifies the file compared to a regular AV. 1 minute vs 40 minutes.

From my understanding, with Hitman Pro, once suspicious files are identified (with the prevx engine), these files are then uploaded and scanned with G-Data, Nod, Avira and a-squared. You will then receive a report to remove files that are suspicious or considered a definite threat.

Keep in mind, this program and prevx work best when files are actually launched and running on a user's system, compared to an AV which will find files laying dormant on a user's system. Not to say the scan isn't as effective, you'll find both prevx and Hitman Pro scan all folders, the windows folder, system 32 folder, along with the program files folder.

I just downloaded a number of test applications I have sandboxed. Some are portable, and not from the best of sources so I have these to run sandboxed to test them out.

You'll notice it found these files (screensavers, unknown portable programs, some safe programs etc) on my desktop, in a folder under C:\, in the system folders, and is uploading each one for analysis. (I've only shown part of the report below, as there were too many files to list/too many screenshots, and once a file is submitted and is all-clean, it seemed to remove itself from the report list).

See below scanning system. (Note - I'm on a wireless connection, so upload is normally instant)
    hmp.jpg

Classifying files - with G-Data, Avira, Nod, a-squared, prevx
    hmp5.jpg

All files came back clean. No false positives. Scanned with CureIt, a-squared this past week, and all files clean as well.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  19. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

Hitman Pro 3.5 rocks for those occasional on demand scans! I purchased the license and all is well with it and my Real apps...

CIS 3.9
    PrevX 3.0
    Zemana AntiLogger 1.8.2.998

:D :thumb:

20. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

Running XP Pro sp3 here and both Hitman Pro 3.0 and 3.5 scan with no issues.
    Like the new look also! :cool:

21. Saraceno

It doesn't have any programs running once the program closes, so is more of an add-on tool.

I agree though, many here, including myself, overload their programs. You don't need to add anything to your setup, but good to see a thread where on-demand suggestions are made. It's good to have programs that shut-down after you no longer need them.

22. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Sounds interesting! Do you know when it's going to be released?

23. andyman35

Given the top quality engines it uses,plus the fact it has minimal impact on system resources it's a very useful additional layer IMO.

24. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

My wild guess is that it will be released as soon as beta-testers end giving their feedback about it, or when AVG thinks its already time.

More than that, I can't really say.

But, I believe this is going to be one more of those tools that you need to download every single day to have the most current definitions.

I already expressed AVG my opinion about it, which is to make it possible to only download the tool once, and then the user update it's signatures before scanning. This would spare people's bandwidth and help those still running 56K.

25. Retadpuss

Hi, Hitman uses its own engine to scan locally, not Prevx. Prevx is used along with the other engines only once a file is uploaded to the cloud.

You are right in stating that Hitman works best on live infections though. I will be running some more detection tests tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

Puss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.