Looking for an ISR for testing programs

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Ashanta, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I am waiting for shadow defender to incorporate these features, or just improve shadow user to enter shadow state without reboot.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well, apparently neither developer is willing or keen to do so. I changed my strategy, I use ShadowProtect to test things, and Shadow Defender to do what ShadowUser seems to be doing well with XP.

3. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Thanks Osaban for your explanation ! :D

Anybody has tried the sandboxing function of FirstDefense-ISR Rescue for testing programs ?

4. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I also use imaging as an alternative to test programs to require a reboot,though it is not as fast as Light Virtualization,it works clean.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It sure would. I user the "classic" FDISR, but in it's earlier versions, I used it just the way rescue works. Worked like a charm.

Pete

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Is it like "sandboxie"?can u tell me how it works,I have used fd-isr only for restores.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It's completely different from Sanboxie. The program creates an exact clone of the OS on the same Drive/partition, so basically when you start/reboot your computer there's a pre-boot screen giving you the option to boot into 'the other snapshot' called rescue area.

Basically you work with two identical OSs, and what ever happens (good or bad) in one can be restored to its original state with the other. You can test a program in one snapshot, you don't like it, you reboot into the other snapshot and refresh (copy/update) the one with the program.

8. Ashanta

Thanks Osaban for all details,

It sounds good to test such programs that needs to reboot to a full installation ;)

I heard also that also that Radix Reload can do it, but I'm not sure, needs to be confirmed.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You are welcome. It is indeed ideal to test programs, crazy configurations, SRP, even malware to a certain extent (I personally never test malware).

My problem with it is that when I backup my system, I have to backup a double system (in my case 40 GB just for the OS no files!) so if I wish to store several images with different stuff hard drive space becomes critical, not to mention the time it takes to backup and restore.

Lately I thought what if I uninstall the program + the extra snapshot before performing a backup (to save space), and reinstall it later. Well this is where I ran into a problem, at least on my computer, the program can be uninstalled but the extra snapshot stubbornly resists any attempt of deletion.

So if you test it, and decide to buy it try to uninstall it first and see what happens.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Radix Reload.

10. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Radix Reload is just another clone of EAZ-FIX.

Panagiotis

11. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Ok,You are talking about the general method fd-isr restore, is there anything unique like fd-isr sandboxing function as mentioned earlier.I need to know whats sandboxing have to do with fd-isr ,Is there anything new introduced in Fd-isr rescue thats not there in the classic version.

12. Ashanta

Osaban, not good chance with FD-ISR !

You confirm what I read, snapshots take very large space on the drive.

Pandlouk, Another clone ? So many Rollback clones, Eaz-Fix, Radix Reload, Ayrecovery. Any others, that I've forgotten ?

13. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

EazFix is the main program developed by EAZ Solutions.
    RollbackRx is the main Re-brand clone.
    Radix Reload is another Re-brand clone.
    There are some others around.

Ayrecovery is a derivate of EAZFIX 6 but not a rebrand of EAZFIX. It uses totally different servers for activation.

Panagiotis

14. Peter2150

Actually FD-ISR Rescue is a stripped down version of the original.

Pete

15. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Actually, before it was EAZ-Fix it was InaQuick Rescue (IQR) by Inasoft (around 2003-4) and a few years later a US Patent was issued to the 3 developers (the principal developer being Andrew Shen).

As mentioned, over the past few years it has been OEM'd under a few different names, but imho only EF & RB are up-to-date and mainained by a support team.

16. Ashanta

Thanks Aaron for all those interesting informations about Eaz-Fix "Family".

For ShadowProtect Dekstop and Drive Snapshot users ( DS, I'm not sure if it is a ISR program), is there a way to test those programs do require a boot system ? :rolleyes:

17. Peter2150

Neither are ISR programs. You can image prior to the test, and restore afterwards, but that isn't true ISR.

18. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Comodo DiskShield won't be developed further,however they are working on a new product called Time Machine that I believe allows for protected mode across reboots.

19. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.