Looking for an FD-ISR/Eaz-Fix-like program:

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by apathy, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I tried eaz-fix and absolutely loved it. Although I never did find out if each snapshot is some how needs previous snapshots before it or each one is a full backup. I didn't like the fact that eaz-fix toys with your mbr also that it is $49 per machine but I guess I could live with that.

What are some other programs out there like Eaz-fix and FDISR(I am aware of the recent change to FDISR)

Thanks for the info and this community is so knowledgeable and useful.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Apathy,
    Besides FDISR, RollbackRx and its clones (Eaz-Fix, AyRecovery, Radix Reload, ...)
    there isn't much regarding multiple snapshots.
    Roxio BackOnTrack 3 Suite has a combination of Immediate System Recovery, Image Backup and File Backup,but you have to test this first thoroughly, if each component does its job or not.
    http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/backontrack/suite/overview.html

The rest are simple boot-to-restore solutions : DeepFreeze, Returnil, ShadowDefender, etc.

I'm looking myself for a replacement of FDISR, I don't like softwares without future on my computer.

3. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I really like eaz-fix but I will be enraged if I drop $49 on this software and have to pay for an update 6 months later. I couldn't find much information on licensing and upgrades on their site. Thanks for the help.

Btw.. I am currently using Avira/Threatfire/Comodo with Def+ and haven't had many problems but sometimes with the installation of test softwares things go bad and a rollback would be nice. Does anyone know the answer to this question: If I made three snapshots after the main snapshot and decide to delete the second snapshot am I screwing myself or are all the snapshots independant? That's a question I must know before purchasing this product.

Thanks always

4. osip

osip Registered Member

...with EF/RBrx all are independent.

5. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Perhaps I will have to test out Eaz-Fix/Returnil/Shadow Defender in VMware and see how it does. If I used returnil or shadow defender I would have to allow my avira/firefox/thunderbird/sunbird to be able to make constant changes.

Thanks for the tip by the way osip. I noticed searching through the forums that you as well were looking for something to replace FDISR. Did you ever find anything?

6. ErikAlbert

Apathy,
    I have no practical experience with Eaz-Fix at all, just readings.
    My assumption is that all snapshots are based on the baseline snapshot and it would be logical that each additional snapshot can be removed or created at any time according your needs.
    If you want to test a new software, create a new snapshot and when the testing is done and you want to get rid of it, you only have to remove the snapshot and that's it.

Besides you don't have much choice, FDISR is terminated and Eaz-Fix is the only alternative.
    I would download the trial version and do some testing regarding new softwares and snapshots. There are enough experienced EF/RB-users at Wilders to assist you. :)

7. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Thanks Erik,

I went and bought the software as I tested it a while back and really put it through hell. I like that you can create a snapshot before installing something and reverse the problems you create. I installed comodo recently and somehow explorer.exe got labeled as a limited process and couldn't start other processes. It wasn't for eaz-fix I would have been screwed(temporarily).

Thanks for the help, the only reason I didn't bother with the virtual programs like returnil/shadow defender is that I have many programs that update constantly and eazfix works just fine for me. I paid the extra 8 bux for a year of maintenance whatever that is... Hopefully they won't screw me when a new update is released.

8. ErikAlbert

If I had to choose between Eaz-Fix and Returnil/ShadowDefender/etc., I would also vote for Eaz-Fix without hesitation and don't mind the money, softwares like Eaz-Fix and FDISR save you alot of misery and time to solve this misery.
    My computer is a paradise, since I use FDISR, I hope you get the same results with Eaz-Fix. :)

9. osip

osip Registered Member

T
    well apathy, I used EF 8.0 and was pleased with it provided you have an image software in addition that preserves the MBR..I used Drivesnapshot and IFW in a BartPe recue disk which worked great...When I rather recently upgraded to another machine I went over to FDISR (genuine) and find it much more interesting and secure...With FDISR you can use 3d party defraggers(not in EF,it has the internal) and also you can image system drive without bothering of the MBR...A pity that it has been ended...So, if you can´t get FDISR genuine version with multiple snapshots I recommend EF with Drivesnapshot/Image for windows on a BartPe rescue disk...You can find all info about this on this forum under Drivesnapshot...

10. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I bought IFW/IFD/BootItNG a while back and love it.
    What is EF and how to you create a bart pe rescue disk? Having IFW
    on one would be great.

Thanks

11. ErikAlbert

According Markymoo Terabyte was the best backup software for RBRx/EF.
    Maybe he can answer your question.

12. osip

osip Registered Member

13. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i vote for this:thumb: :thumb: eaz fix is the best software u can find out there....and it more than one level above deep freez , returnil etc...:cautious:

cheers

14. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

15. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Eaz-Fix has saved my bacon on many occasions but there are a few lingering questions. Eaz-fix experts help me out here:

1.) I've noticed that the eaz-fix snapshot file sizes vary from 4GB to 100MB
    and even when I have deleted a snapshot it doesn't give me back my free space.

2.) If you have a baseline snapshot and the snapshot after it is 4GB and the second snapshot is 100mb how can they both be independent snapshots? Sure I might have deleted some file between now and then but the file sizes just don't match up when I make two snapshots at the same time.

3.) I don't mind the MBR changes and I noticed that Image for Windows backups backup the mbr and all the snapshots that eaz-fix uses. Yet I see that even when I have a baseline and two snapshots eaz-fix hoards up the harddrive even though logically it shouldn't be.

Thanks for the help everyone. I never got a chance to use FDISR but besides a few nagging questions eaz-fix works for me.

16. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

yes it does ... and worst.. he create an hidden partition(!!) to store all its snapshots made...bad bad bad:argh:

cheers :gack:

17. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Anybody,
    I have Shadow Protect imager for my XP Pro pc.
    If I get Eaz Fix or any of the others that mess with the MBR, will it cause me problems with my images when I go to recover with an image?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No Shadowprotect will just image and store the MBR. But unless you image the "free space" you will lose the extra snapshots.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

With Eaz-Fix u will need Srive Snapshot, ATI 11 or Paragon - sector by sector raw imaging plus MBR from a boot CD.

20. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Just to let you know, they don't charge 49.00 per machine.
    I bought 2 additional licenses for both my son's laptop and mine at a nice discount.
    Contact them thru their site and ask.
    They will respond.
    The few times I've used it, their tech support has been excellent also.

21. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've noticed that at times it appears as tho eaz-fix doesn't seem to give back the free space. Usually a reboot and a snapshot defrag seems to sort things out. I don't know if its an eaz-fix bug, or just windows not reporting free space correctly.
    The only snapshot thats independent is the baseline. All other snapshots are dependent on the baseline.

22. ErikAlbert

In FDISR, I always have the same volumes, even after defragmentation :

WS1 = 3.22gb
    WS2 = 2.41gb
    C:\ = 10.30gb

The only thing I don't know is the difference between C:\ minus WS1+WS2 : 10.3 - 5.63 = 4.67gb.
    I don't know what these 4.67gb represent. It can't be malware. ;)

FDISR provides a function to recalculate the volume of each snapshot, but that difference is insignificant.

23. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Peter 2150 and Aigle,
    2 different answers.
    I already own Shadow Protect.
    If I can use it without a problem with Eaz Fix, good.
    If not, what programs, other than Horizon Datasys FDISR Rescue, are available?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You can use it with Eaz Fix. You can try imaging all sectors depending on your drive config, or you can just image the baseline without snapshots.

Pete

25. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

From what I read on the Eaz-Fix site, it doesn't do a sector by sector image for it's snapshots as they can be created in 10 seconds.

So how does it work?

Can it be as reliable as a sector-by-sector image or snapshot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.