Looking for an advanced HIPS which provides detailed information:

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by apathy, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I can use Defensewall with just about anything as it works quietly and protects without much nagging. I've been looking for a HIPS much like ProSecurity(RIP) which gave you details on what going on and what was being changed or added. At the same time not nagging you when an executable is run. I wonder if EQSecure is the natural successor of the wonderful ProSecurity?

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Easter would be the best person to answer your question.:) As for myself I just removed EQSecure completely from my computer.
    Like any HIPS it was too intrusive to my taste. Now since three weeks, I am running with just DefenseWall and and no more popups.;)

3. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

EQSecure have a nice feature called "enable learning for current mode" that cand be enabled while the blacklist rules are disabled.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

While I like EQS, I don't think it's what you're looking for. The popups don't give you much information, in fact, sometimes they don't have information at all (at least 3.41).

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Geswall will do all of what you asked.

6. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

Trjam.. is Geswall similar to SafeSpace (protection and virtualization)?? Is Geswall a good replacement for SafeSpace, since SafeSpace is now a step child living in the attic or basement. :)

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Comodo has hips built into it, why not use that seeing as you already have it installed?
    You could also try system safety monitor which i find quite good.

8. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I installed Online Armor(latest) and I like it. I'll have to test it out but does anyone know how to configure it to make it more secure? I like how you can allow certain computers in the network to access your machine and let's you know when you are visiting a site that is using certain things like Active-X and the like. After a thorough test I may buy it if it plays nice with FDISR.

9. carioca

carioca Registered Member

:thumb:
    hi, buddies,
    I recommend too geswall because not nagging usually. but I've read good comments about eqsecure.it depends upon your choice and if you are expert or novice user. in my case I detest too many popups because they're so annoying.splash screen does, too. I think is a kind of paranoia but I like to be quietly.for instance ghostsecurity it's a great software, but I gave up for the reason it's nagging frequently. thus, I gave it away. fyi I have the ghost security and app deffend licenses but I let them behind. I have already suggested the developer to avoid too many popups and get more quietly as prosecurity was. who knows the future? I might change my opinion? system safety monitor its another piece of great software, but it's more complex to use and sometime you may block something important in your computer. you should have knowledge what you're doing there.best regards.
    :cool:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You can set OA's HIPS to "advanced mode" to get additional configuration choices. Also, you can right click any program on OA's program list and there is an "advanced" item. Click it & you will have lots of additional configurations to strengthen the security of that application.

11. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I really do like advanced mode and having Firefox/Thunderbird/Utorrent/Skype/etc running in safer mode. I bought OA because the gui is really easy to operate and it has a lot of features in a small package. I am just now starting to discover them all.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I found COMODO full of data and other information, might be worth a try.

I'm also strongly pro EQSecure because it also offers detailed enough information, more importantly found within it's Task Manager such as Modules, etc. if thats what you're after in a HIPS. Also the alerts are simple and straight forward i think.

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
  13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Why not SSM ? At the end of this month should be released the new version with file protection. :)

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Compare the two yourself. ADD your own Block List, this EQS is "LITE" but extremely efficient an DOES NOT make mistakes or create issues nor take you to college just to learn it's ever newer feaures all the time.

I see now why they stopped releasing versions because this is a Mega-Security HIPS once you become familiar with it, and absolutely nothing can break it.

It could use some additional self-protections IMO, but as-is, and FREE, this HIPS is solid as granite and places full control to where it belongs, in control of the user, only a lazy head who wants everything to it do for them scares away users from it. And theres not a single HIPS anywhere that can offer optimum solid protections without the user needing to tweaking it to it's fullest potential.

It's IMHO the very best HIPS at-present and ProSecurity 1.43 is right up there with them.

All others AFAIK are only artificial generic attempts that can only follow way behind them no mattter what.

AS for DefenseWall, i look at it as not a pure HIPS as it's called but mainly a sandbox with HIPS integrations to lower user rights and dismisss files that can easily be removed from the system. But these HIPS i speak of don't even allow penetration into the system at all IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

They are AFAIK a highly technical guardian of everything from the rigistry entries, files and paths, to applications monitor along with EXTREMELY CONFIGURABLE PREFERENCES, EASY TO UNDERSTAND, AND A high voltage ELECTRIC FENCE AGAINST "ANYTHING" that could possibly penetrate or compromise their security, as well as 170% STABLE + "LITE".

You want information too? EQS + ProSec 1.43 offers all a consciencence security minded user can ever need IMO.

EASTER

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

All OA versions have played very well with all versions of FDISR here.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.