Looking for a way to stop ESET service, STOP not disable

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Searinox, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searinox

Searinox Registered Member

As posted in a thread a while ago, NOD32 latest version 4.0.474 uses increasing amounts of RAM as days go by, reaching around 140MB after 14 days. My solution is to restart the ESET service every 2 weeks, but I don't know how.

The ESET service has no Stop control. One way to do this is to issue a command to kill ekrn.exe every 2 weeks after which it automatically restarts because the service is set to restart in 0 seconds no matter how many times it's stopped. The problem is that Self-Defense prevents this, and I don't want to have to disable SD.

By what means can I stop the ESET service or kill ekrn.exe? Restarting it will be the easy part. Thank you in advance.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Killing ekrn.exe that is followed by a restart of the service is not possible with SD enabled. What OS do you use? Does installing v. 4.2.22 make a difference?

3. Searinox

I am using windows 7 ultimate 64bit and on the matter I have posted in a thread that already exists for the memory leak. I will try installing 4.2 later but there appear to be no documented fixes on this matter in the latest beta so my hopes are low. I am hoping that Eset look into the matter.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Stopping the ekrn.exe service would effectively disable your AV !
    With Windows Vista you have sufficient RAM to not be concerned about allotment of memory. I fail to see the logic as to why you are attempting to do this.
    SD or Self Defense would not prevent your from doing this but it certainly is not something you would want to accomplish.
    ESET AV or ESS has a very small memory footprint to begin with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. Searinox

This computer runs around the clock so that slowly creeping RAM usage begins to bug after some time. If you read the post you'll see that what I intend to do is stop AND RESTART the service every 2 weeks of non stop running so that windows itself is not restarted. This is actually the only antivirus so far that I've seen to not have a stop control on its service. I am aware that what I am trying to do is unusual, but keep in mind, so is EAV's behaveiour, I wouldn't be looking for this if it operated normally so I came to the forum for a workaround.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Define "bug".
    I have and what you are doing does not make sense as you are attempting to trim down part of the application which would essentially render it useless and leave-you without anti-virus protection.

Proceed at your own risk and peril. I do not condone what you are doing.

7. Searinox

...is this for real?

I call it a bug because it keeps using more and more memory without a limit, is that normal? If you do not want me to be shutting down and restarting the eset kernel, then please provide a suggestion to free up the memory that ekrn.exe keeps eating up and not returning to me but don't tell me that the only solution available to me is not within reach for whatever security ethics reasons.

Besides you know very well the kernel will keep on restarting itself no matter how many times it is stopped and that killing it won't impact security, the system would stay unprotected for what, 1/2 a second every 2 weeks? That can't be a threat.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest trying the new build 4.2.22. Should the problem persist, create a kernel or complete memory dump per the instructions here and contact customer care when done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.