Looking for a secure USB Flash Drive for RoboForm with hack-proof write protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Devinco, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hello All,

I am in search of a good secure USB Flash Drive (USB Key) for use with RoboForm Portable (Pass2Go).
    I looked at some with built in fingerprint scanners. Those are fine, but I wonder about the longevity/durability of the scanner.

Much more important would be a hack-proof write protect mechanism.
    "They" are already able to write corrupted USB drivers to bypass Windows logon etc. It is not too much of a stretch that an infected machine would have a corrupted USB driver that may be able to ignore the write protect switch on a USB Flash Drive. This would lead to possible infection of the PortableRoboForm.exe on the Flash Drive and cross contamination between a somewhat less secure system and a more secure system.
    Being able to bypass the write protection of a USB Flash Drive is all speculation. It depends on the implementation of the write protect. If it relies on the USB Driver in Windows to enforce it or the switch is merely window dressing, it might be able to be bypassed. If the write protect is enforced independently by the USB Flash Drive even with a corrupted systems USB driver, the data on the drive would remain intact.

One workaround would be to not use PortableRoboForm.exe and install the regular RoboForm on each system. Don't execute a program from portable media and no problem. But the write protect issue remains due to passcards being overwritten (or less likely, modified to cause a buffer overflow within RoboForm standalone).

So, what do you think?
    Do you know of any security friendly USB Flash Drives?

Thanks,
    Devinco

2. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

Re: Looking for a secure USB Flash Drive for RoboForm with hack-proof write protectio

hi

why not just download a copy of TrueCrypt (2000/XP/2003 Only)

im sure that should be able to do what ya want encrypt the entier drive hee

heres the link

http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Re: Looking for a secure USB Flash Drive for RoboForm with hack-proof write protectio

Thanks Bethrezen!

I'll check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.