Looking for a new email client? Mailbird 2.0 has arrived

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wasgij6, Mar 12, 2015.

1. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

I have been using mailbird since its very early days. The mailbird team is very small but has great support and is very good about fixing bugs.

v2.0 has been in the works for many months and today is finally available. v2.0 has many new features and a new look. The mailbird team is making an email client that functions more than just an email client it can also connect all your favorite email, calendar, task and messaging apps into one.

It can work just as an email client or you can add 'apps' that will add functionality. Some of the apps include google calendar, contacts manager, dropbox, evernote, google docs, sunrise calendar, todoist, moo.do, whatsup, and more.

There is a free and pro version. The free (lite) version has basic options and a max of 3 accounts. See more about pricing here:
    http://www.getmailbird.com/pricing/

Read their blog post to see what else mailbird can do.
    http://www.getmailbird.com/mailbird-2-0-is-more-than-an-email-client/

Download here:
    http://www.getmailbird.com/

Let me know what you guys think of it.

Attached Files:

2. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Does this support MS Exchange fully, couldn't locate anything in their site?

3. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

I believe so

Attached Files:

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

After years of not using an email client other than for work (I access my emails online), I decided to install Mailbird. While I've only just installed it, so far I am impressed. I like the user interface and was impressed that it knew all the required server settings for my email provider FastMail. All I had to do was enter my email address and password, and then it setup everything for me - there was no need for me to enter any other details.

I have installed email clients in the past to use my IMAP FastMail account only to be disappointed. However, Mailbird certainly look like a keeper. The lack of any ability to sort emails e.g. by size is an issue for me, but it looks like it will be added at some point.

5. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Been using Mailbird for a year now, very happy with it. So far version 2 looks like a good improvement.

6. roger_m

One issue I've found is that its using up to 50% CPU time. I'm guessing this will only be happening while it's finishing its initial syncing of my emails. I've got 200,000 emails to sync.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Wow 200k emails. That's after deleting stuff?

8. roger_m

No, that's before deleting stuff. I've always been slack at deleting emails from the web interface, as I it easier doing via an email client. Once Mailbird has finished syncing all my emails it will be time to for me to start deleting.

9. phalanaxus

Didn't like it too much. Free version has too many limitations (especially quick file preview is a dealbreaker) and lifetime price is quite high for an email client, I will keep on using Outlook.

10. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Paid or Free (Lite)?

11. Tyrizian

Downloading now, will evaluate later and give my feel on it....

12. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I'm using the Pro version. Need it for extra e-mail accounts.

13. Tyrizian

Very nice! What do you like most about it?

14. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I'm very fond of the interface, it's quick and intuitive. And I like the apps and quick preview attachements function. What I do miss though is unified inbox, but they said that was coming after version 2, so maybe next major release? And I'd like to see an integration with the Windows 8.1 notifications.

15. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

16. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Oh wow, thanks for posting that. Not fond of such behavior in a program.

17. Tyrizian

I like the clean and simple interface, the custom UI colors and I like the pleasing notification sound, but other than that...I see nothing special here.

I think I'll pass on this one and stick with eM Client.

18. Tyrizian

19. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Looking forward to eM Client 7 :thumb:

20. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

You are welcome. I will pass my turn too.

21. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Didn't even know about this one, will check it out, not that I really need a mailclient. I couldn't install Mailbird inside the sandbox, so it's a no go. I did kinda like Opera Mail, I checked it out months ago. I like the simple and clean GUI.

22. Kharom

Kharom Registered Member

I think 45 USD is a fine price for a good email client. There hasn't been any indication to the contrary, so I guess "lifetime" really means access to all updates as long as the company continues to develop. While I personally see this as a destructive business model - especially for a type of application which is geared toward long-term use - it's nonetheless an attractive offer.

To get a comparison: I've been using The Bat ever since version 3 in 2005, I believe. The mail client from Ritlabs is now at version 6 and it has cost me roughly 160 USD to buy the full license back then and keep it up-to-date through versions 4, 5 and 6. It comes to 16 USD per year, which is more than double the yearly pro license of Mailbird, but to me it has been and continues to be worth it. Due to a lack of familiarity with Mailbird I can't say if it's as useful, but judging from some positive comments here in this thread, it seems to be fine for daily use.

Having read the whole blog post I don't see it as a security problem, but there is definitely a privacy issue! I don't know which kind of country's laws the Mailbird developers have to follow - the client was initially developed by two guys from Denmark, the domain is registered to a company in Hong Kong and the LinkedIn profile shows their headquarters in Singapore - but that doesn't really matter to me as a user.

I don't want to use an application I paid for, which subverts my privacy without at least letting me know about it or giving me an option to opt out. Who knows what they're doing with this kind of user database or what the country the company resides in may allow them to do.

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Wow, this is really bad stuff, of course you could make your firewall block this. But I hate it when apps which have to make outbound connections in order to function (like a browser or mail-client) secretly try to phone home, this is a red flag.

24. phalanaxus

You are comparing two expensive software's prices IMHO. Neither mailbird or the bat offers anything to me (except a more beautiful interface) compared to what other alternatives like Thunderbird which is completely free. BTW I'm using outlook since I have MS Office handy (need that for work)

25. Tyrizian

I am as well, lots of promised features for awhile now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.