Looking For A Good Cloud Backup System

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TomAZ, Sep 26, 2015.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I need a good cloud backup provider. I already have a couple of external HDDs that I use in tantum for this very purpose, but I'd also like to have something off-site. I've looked at iDrive, CrashPlan, SOS and Mozy (and even a couple others), but I'm not really sure what to do. Some of the things I'm looking for are:

1. Reasonably full-featured
    2. Easy to setup and use
    3. Simple and intuitive GUI -- and easy to edit
    4. Unlimited storage
    5. Easy to do a Restore (if needed)
    6. Not too terribly expensive

Would love to have your input.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Tom

I use Jungledisk (subsidiary of Rackspace. Not the simplest but very full featured with good support

My second choice would be Crashplan.

Pete

3. m0unds

m0unds Guest

I'm using Crashplan. I used Spideroak for many years, but their client can be flaky and their support staff are seriously overburdened. Crashplan works well and is extremely flexible, but is a little kludgy if you want to back up stuff stored on a NAS or other networked storage using a Windows PC as the crashplan client. I back up my NAS using a raspberry pi as the crashplan client w/the shares mounted via NFS.

If you only intend to back up stuff from your PC or laptop to their servers or to your other PCs, Crashplan is very easy to configure and very reliable.

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Pete, what exactly do mean Jungle Disk is "not the simplest"? Is it harder to use and not as intuitive as CrashPlan?

5. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I've been using Mozy since probably the first year it came out. I actually have multiple family members using it and all are quite happy with it. The nice thing about Mozy is that it can back up both to an external HD and online at the same time.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It depends. If you simply want to back up a couple of folders, it's pretty simple. But in my setup here is what I am doing.

1. I am running it on two machines under one account.
    2. I am backing up different things with different retention from each machine.
    3. I am also backing up data for another person whose data is on one of my machines. That backup is separate, is run as a separate job, and if necessary can be deleted independently from my data

All this is possible under one account with Jungle disk, but I needed support help to get all figured out. One of my big reasons for going with Jungle disk was data safety and security. For me that was a big issue as I have client data stored.

I can go into that aspect more tomorrow.

Pete

7. dagrev

dagrev Registered Member

I've used several and love IDrive. I only use the free plan (but have earned a lot of free GBs) because I don't need everything online. It has worked easily and always for me. The paid versions seem very reasonable as well. I love the sync across all devices aspect which is a must for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.