Looking for a Firefox replacement :(

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated. i do use all my extensions, but i have just uninstalled some i use least and one that had stopped working correctly - Session Saver 2. and i have added some tweaks i have used in the past which i forgot to add when i reinstalled XP afew weeks ago; with these tweaks firefox was always very stable. i'll have alook at any themes i can uninstall too.

if i still have any problems i will build a new profile and install Moox. in the meantime i'll install Netscape 8 using Ashampoo's Uninstaller Suite so if i don't like it i can cleanly uninstall.

how do themes and extensions work with Net. 8? does it use them? if so can i use the Firefox ones i like?

is there something like about:netscape?

i have been running Firefox with reduced rights by using Secure-It's drop.exe. when you run Secure-It it makes a reduced rights IE and OE, i just copied their start targets and used it for firefox, as below. could that be a cause of the erratic behaviour of Firefox?
    "C:\Program Files\Secure-It\drop.exe" "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

Thank you all for your help.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I've just install Moox, very impressed, nice and quick, noticeable straight off... and with such I'll stick with it.

Cheers :D

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In my opinion the best browser available now is opera 8. it really works well.

bigc

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have the free version of Opera 8 and it does run well. {Going through proximitron.}

Firefox with 14 extensions is still speedy. Cache is set to zero although, sometimes, it needs to be cleared.

I would drop the Secure-It as far as Firefox is concerned. JMO :D

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for your replies :) i'm going to stick with what i have for now. if anything starts to go wrong, like i said i'll install Moox, as it only seems to have good things said about it, but as i have a very good uninstaller (Ashampoo), i'll give Opera a go. i think the only way i'll be able to like it is if i make myself use it for, at least, 1 week. in the past i have used it for one browser session and made up my mind then. it seemed the graphics were abit too slick for my liking, can the theme be changed in Opera? can the bar on the left side of the page be removed as well?

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

My opinion as well. Been using Opera (registered) for over four years and highly recommend it.

Nick

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The bar can be removed. Very configurable version.

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Opera Skins
    Yes it can be disabled. You can make the interface as clean as you want.

Nick

Attached Files:

9. Blackspear

Does it still have ads? I can't see anything about a free and paid version on their site.

10. dog

dog Guest

Yes, the ad is there in the free version. ;) Once registered it's gone.

11. Blackspear

I gather registration is when you pay?

12. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Or get 250 unique visitor to Click ( your ) opera button and you get a free liscense.

You can also get a free ( Legal ) version 7 liscense from somewhere ( don't have the link in hand ) and upgrade for a much cheaper price.

Or you can get a Free version 7 liscense and install 8 Beta than install 8 Final. The legal work round.

13. dog

dog Guest

$39 US

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just went to download it and i don't see an option to get the non java version, do they still do that version? i just found one at MG that's the version i think i want. it says shareware do you think that will be the free adware one? do any of you use it with Java? thanks
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download559.html

15. bigc73542

That one is non java, the java version is about 14mgb's It will display small ads in the top right corner of the browser, I don't even notice it anymore :)

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

so that's the one you use -adware and non Java too?

17. bigc73542

I use the free version with sun java 1.50

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Oh. i think i'll get the one from the MG link anyway and see how it goes from there, if i start to miss Java i'll upgrade. thanks.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The problem with the ads in the free version is that I have to click through 15-20 cookie prompts for ads!!! I refuse to have any of those on my box. The ads are one thing ...the cookies are an entirely different matter. As a consequence, I have never been able to use Opera long enough to know if I would want to purchase it. I get too tired of constantly clicking through the ad cookies.

It's tabbled browsing is very elementary after using TBE with Fx and Moz and tabbed browsing is why I use Fx and Moz. It's very irritating to try and use Opera without TBE! Might as well use IE. :D

What is Moox?

21. Blackspear

Hi Mele, Moox is a speed tweaked stable version of Firefox.

22. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Mele thanks for your post on Opera and the tabs. I was really interested in Opera but now see the cookie thing would cause issues with me too plus tabs are very important to my style of browsing. I did try Opera for an extremely short time when asked to install a browser to slove a problem but uninstalled as I hated the ads :(

I thought v8 looked really good but now I am not too sure. FF would be great if it wasn't slow and I have also read it is a bit old fashioned compared to other tabbed browsers. Followed the link to Moox o_O speed, yes please but worries about the way they talk about processors etc - I know I would look for the one for P4 but will I end up with errors as I have a P4 HT CPU o_O :oops:

I just got really worried when I read the warnings etc as I don't want to end up with a browser which doesn't work and I really do need one with full tab support o_O

23. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

in v8 final...
    it's like 1 new ad per 5 hours of surfing... at least on my end [not contextual ads... just the usual ones]

I've felt it to be faster, lighter and cleaner than Firefox in most respects... something that I guess is worth buying [but USD39 or even USD29 is a bit too much, considering that a new version is launched every year :D]

24. bch

bch Registered Member

iceni60.

Opera Ad Filter from http://www.monroeworld.com/operafilter/ for an effective Ad Blocker. (Does not block the ads in the right hand corner of the free version of Opera).

noopads from http://www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/noopads/ covers up the ads in the right hand corner of the free version. (I've never used this, so can't comment if it works or not).

Custom Buttons from http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons Although these are for version 7 the ones I've tried work ok in the new version of Opera.

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you. I had a look. Interesting. But why do you need a speed build of Fx? Fx is extremely fast already. Plus, I would worry about hyperthreading ...even though my CPU was listed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.