Looking for a 24" monitor.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ThunderZ, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Just ordered a Nvidia 9600 GTS to replace my ATI 1300. Got it for about half the price as new so I could not resist. The last video upgrade (in about 4 to 8 weeks) I would like to do is finally retire my 21" CRT and purchase a 24" LCD. I have seen what seem to be decent quality\brands for under\around $300. Do not care about wide screen, actually find it annoying.
    I do some mild gaming. Mostly surf, search out info. and a little basic photo editing. Any suggestions, links for a starting point are appreciated.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ThunderZ, I find that Newegg.com has competitive pricing on almost every item they sell and besides discounts, at times free shipping offers! Sign up for their Email specials, and you'll receive their Latest Deals. Here's their LCD Monitor page. Enjoy!

3. ThunderZ

:thumb: JRViejo. Big fan of newEgg myself, it is where I probably do 99% of my PC purchasing from. The new video card is from them as a matter of fact.

I have seen on an occasion or two some real good deals to be had elsewhere though. I guess it is one of those I am hoping to stumble across this time.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ThunderZ, without a doubt, NewEgg is a great place to shop! BTW, if you have a Costco or Sam's Club store near you, check them out because I've seen great deals there as well. Best of luck on your search!

5. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

6. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I think you will find everything you want at this site. Price and selection all at one place.
    Monitors
    My suggestion, go for the 28" Hanns-G HDTV. 450/free shipping. That is a computer gaming deal of the century. Sells for 600 in retail stores. I know, I looked.

If you can fit it on your desk, a 42" Sylvania 1080p lcd for $800+shipping. Oh well, not everything is free.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

And for canadians.....

http://www.redflagdeals.com/

8. ThunderZ

:eek: WOW! Coolio10 :thumb: :thumb: Looks like a far better monitor at a much better price is closer then I thought. Many thanks. :D

9. Coolio10

Where? I don't see a 24" in the forums.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/search.php?searchid=12966991

EDIT: I think you meant to thank Searching_ _ _ and not me since i posted canadian deals which according to your profile, you don't live in :D.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  10. ThunderZ

:oops: oooops, right you are. Apologies & many thanks to Searching. It had been a very long day yesterday. o_O

11. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Glad it was helpful for you. The help a person receives is more important than the recognition of the helper.

My Uncle turned me on to the site, he retired a year ago.
    He signed up for their news letter and gets free samples sent to him.
    They sent him Spam (samples). I think their is some irony in that.
    Spam is a delicacy in Hawaii.

Don't forget to take a look at their freebie section every now and then if not interested in signing up for the news letter.

Glad I could be of help,

Searching

12. ThunderZ

An excellent way to look at it. It is an attitude I believe is shared by many here.

Bookmarked the site and will poke around it a bit more as time permits.

13. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Thunder, avoid Newegg for monitors if you can. They have an unacceptable dead pixel return policy, IMHO. Anything less than 8 dead pixels doesn't warrant a return, and that's a large amount, certainly noticeable.

You need to research the panel types involved, as the cheap panels are TN, and NOT acceptable for photo-editing, but work well for gaming. The other panel types are PVA, and IPS.

IPS would work out the best for you, but it's also the most expensive. Do some research and see what smaller monitors there are that are IPS, or save up the $700 or so for a 24" IPS.

You have to figure the monitor will stay with you the longest of all your parts, makes sense to spend a bit more on it. But $300 will get you pretty much nowhere for a 24".

14. ThunderZ

Appreciate the advice Entropism. Have upped my goal a bit. :D

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

WOW, that's an almost 300% upping of your original goal! Looks like a fine monitor, though. :thumb:

16. Coolio10

Woah 27"

And i thought my 22" was big.

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Dells are way too overbright,you can't turn down the luminance to an acceptable level,many complain about this.

Even with cal./profiling software you end up with a lum. of 130/140 candelas/m which is not acceptable.

for the price i would go for the NEC 2400 series

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  18. ThunderZ

Thanks all. :D Keep the feedback coming. :thumb: Had read a lot of reviews on that particular Dell. More positive then negative.

@ Coolio10. 22" is a very good size, however only a 1" gain over my current 21" CRT. The old beast is bigger then some TVs` and twice as heavy. :ouch: Every time I start looking at LCDs` I swear I can hear my desk breath a sigh of relief. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.