look-n-stop.or comodo personal firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by theshadow247, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

iam currently using look-n-stop.but i have heard and read alot of good things about comodo personal firewall.i would like to hear from the experts on witch of the two is more secure.out of the box and all around...

2. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

No expert in here but very pleased with Comodo so far. LnS is good too, lighter though but not free.

My 2 $.

BTW Comodo conflicts with KAV, ProcessGuard and not sure about other software .

3. theshadow247

thanks.for the reply.gesc.i read that the new version is not so heavy on resources.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Personally, I would use L`n`S and then add SSM

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I haven't used the newer versions of comodo but the older versions were very secure out of the box. When i tested LnS out of the box it failed the grc leaktest, it only seemed to stealth some ports and left others closed. Only when i loaded the enhanced ruleset did it pass the test. Despite that i've been a fan of LnS for a while now due to its good security and low resource use. If you favour the low resource use and have some cash then LnS is a good choice, however for free software nothing beats comodo.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I did use LnS last year and it is a really good firewall. One thing that I loved with LnS was that I could make a rule on the fly from the log (thats why I bought it in the first place). Hopefully Comodo will have such feature in the next version. LnS is very light on the system if you have an low end computer. You can tweak it alot, but you have to know what you are doing. You can do that with Comodo too, but I think LnS has more in depth abilities and that makes it harder to handle (understand) imo. Comodo is good out of the box and you dont have to tweak it so much - if you dont want to.

LnS is a one man work and doesnt get updated that often (last beta update 1 year ago if I´m not mistaken) . Some say that "if it aint broke, why fix it" and that is all fine if you know how to tweak it for all the new threats, but for an average joe like me comodo suites me better. In the end I got confused with all the advanced custom rules (like phantoms), I didnt understand what they did so the fw rules got all messed up :)

7. theshadow247

thanks for the replys.i agree that lns is a very good and light firewall.but lns is very slow to be updated with all the new threats and malware.i would feel better if it was updated more often than it is.a plus for comodo is that it can auto update and there is a new version more often than not...

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

No harm in trying other software. Maybe you dont like Comodo for what ever reason (quite a few dont like it just because of the hype :) ) then you can go back.

9. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I didn't like it because it kept crashing and throwing up "Oops, you have just discovered a bug with Comodo" error messages. This happened repeatedly, even after uninstaling/cleaning registry/reinstalling, etc. Their support couldn't seem to indicate what was wrong, or what course of action that I or they should take. ~~snip~~

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2006
  10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

As far as I know, LnS is lighter than Comodo and it is also good enough.
    Comodo takes max 30 MB (10 MB with my setup) and it is safe and free.
    I like, that developers are supportive & opened (unlike some paid forums).

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

useful post i was gonna ask same question and it seems look n stop because if comodo conflicts with kav its no good to me

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have been reading about Comodo for a while, and am troubled because I'm used to using ZA which is practically automatic. I don't have the expertise to configure Comodo the way it tells me in the instructions I have found. Can Comodo be used in an automatic mode where I wouldn't have to type in rules and such?

13. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

For me, with all it's failings and nuisances, it's Look'n'Stop.

Why: it's so much lighter on cpu and memory, it's really fast with a big number of complicated rules.

Yes, I'd like it to be easier to configure and with full app specific net access rules.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  14. farmerlee

Comodo is superior in regards to leaktests, so if you're worried about that sort of stuff then comodo is your best solution.

15. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

That, imo, is the stupidest way to evaluate how good or bad a product is.o_O

Back to the question, try them both! Plus evaluate their respective support forums as if you have problems you want them sorted as quickly as possible.

16. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

BTW, does LnS still revert to a free lite (basic) firewall after 30 days? It could be a good combo with SSM free then... :)

17. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Yes. It's exactly the same without the App filtering feature.

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

You can reference this message thread regarding a simple setup of the Comodo Firewall.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=145704&highlight=comodo firewall setup

There are very few firewalls that are as simple as Zone Alarm is for "setting and forgetting" interface. Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall says it is very simple (I have not used this program). On Comodo's site, they also say that the program is very easy to setup. The majority of the firewall programs usually require some kind of rule editing to be able to analyze which application permissions that you want to allow as well as to monitor the port access/denial features. The editing feature allows you to tailor the firewall based on how you use your PC. Even Zone Alarm has some editing rules capability, but most users ignore it (just like myself).

19. farmerlee

Yeah or maybe appdefend or similar.

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

LnS is light, superb, time-tested, with a proven/friendly/helpful/competent support forum. LnS plus System Safety Monitor is 99.9% bullet proof and exacts ~zero point zero impact on system resources.

21. glentrino2duo

So, can anyone confirm if LnS (30days trial) will revert to a free basic firewall (without application control) after 30 days?

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Yes,confirmed.

23. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Yes; it has a list of recognized applications/can scan for them and the component moniter can be set to learn mode. You can also set it to not pop up at all for applications deemed safe by comodo. I have it set that way, and after you make the rounds through your software that needs internet access and simply click allow/remember for each pop up, then you'll hardly know it's running after a while. Very easy! Easier than ZA if you ask me.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Drew99GT, Thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to hear. :D

25. glentrino2duo

thanks for this info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.