Look "n" Stop 2.06?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Mongol, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

Host (based) Intrusion Prevention System... ummm, and actually I don't know if I can give a good explanation. Other than HIPS products can help prevent a process from starting other processes, dll injections, loading drivers and other technical stuff (this is exactly why I don't use them). I prefer to use a product I can understand, like Sandboxie, and of course L'n'S. Though I wouldn't say I have the knowledge to properly configure a firewall without assistance. It's a good thing others do (I'm using Phant0ms rules to)! And there is always someone nice here to help those of us in need...

But if you want to learn about security stuff, I would suggest browsing through the forums here at Wilders as a start. It's really educating :) .

2. xhris

xhris Registered Member

yes I will! Thx a lot :]

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would MUCH rather they get it bug free before releasing, than to release with many and maybe major bugs.
    Some of us do not have the expertise to troubleshoot a firewall, and if it were not fixed soon would dump it.

I would much rather have it right than fast.

Best,
    Jerry

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well this version doesn't like things that automatically login like Yahoo Messenger, it always crashes when it pops up the application filtering to allow or block.

dja2k

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I don’t experience this; perhaps you have a conflict of some sort? Or have a bad install?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Are you talking about Application Crash or BSOD ?
    Would it be possible to get more information (either DrWaston log or event log error under Vista, or Minidump in case of BSOD).

Thanks,

Frederic

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Its actually just application filtering just hanging, no BSOD no logs to give. It just hangs and says "not responding". I actually just put the new version ontop of what I had, but let me do a clean install to see if it fixes it.

dja2k

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

If I don't share errors that occur, how do you want to fix it then. We need people to give feedback, no wonder why programs stay in beta so long, people don't help out.

dja2k

9. Phant0m

Is it the Yahoo! Messenger program that hangs or is it the Look ‘n’ Stop program? And do you have Internet Explorer configured for local proxy? And/Or Yahoo! Messenger with local proxy?

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Not sure a clean install will help (except perhaps if you were using the 2.05p3 under Vista, could you confirm the windows version ?).
    Does Look 'n' Stop hang on the popup but the popup is first displayed, or does Look 'n' Stop hang after you allowed/blocked the application ?
    Also I need to know if it is the simple popup, or the application starting another one, or the DLL connecting popup.

Thanks,

Frederic

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

All machines are different and react different and no actually I don't have any proxies setup cause I don't use proxies.

dja2k

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and it hangs after displaying the initial allow to access internet pop up which hangs saying "not responding" . You can't even click authorize nor block because by that time, it hanged. I can go manually to close the looknstop service, then kill the application pop up using that taskmanager but yahoo stays hanged until I manually reboot. Give me some time to try to take off the automatic login and see how that helps.

dja2k

13. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Did a clean install of 2.06 and yep it fixed the problem. LnS 205p3 didn't like the upgrade of some sort. Phantom was right, it was a bad install and by the way Phantom, I in no way wanted to point out the bad aspects of this firewall, I was merely stating what wasn't working.

dja2k

14. Phant0m

I have updated post #30 to include what I was trying to say, removed post #34 that tried to explain my post #30.

Anyways, It is great that now it is working well – for you. :)

15. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, thanks for the update.

I was thinking about things that could remain from the 2.05p3, that could explain this upgrade issue.
    There is all the experimental flags in the registry, but normally even if they are still there, they are no longer used.
    There is also the ActivatedSoon flag in the registry. When doing a fresh install it is reset. Perhaps you had it enabled in 2.05p3 and the issue may be there ?

After you did the fresh install, did you enable all the options you had enabled with the 2.05p3. In particular, I'm thinking to the DLL check.

Thanks,

Frederic

16. Phant0m

Difficult to believe that an upgrade could be problematic like this, and I know dja2k experienced something here, so today I investigated this anomaly and … … I was able to reproduce it.

I haven’t seen anything besides Yahoo! Messenger that Look ‘n’ Stop Application filtering behaves problematic with, yet.

DLL Check isn’t the problem; also ActivatedSoon flag isn’t the problem either, to overcome this anomaly I must manually add Yahoo! Messenger to the Application filtering list.

Therefore, congratulations dja2k! You have found a bug, hopefully this be addressed quickly. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.