look and stop V2.03

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Will Scarlett, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does anyone who use this software on a regular basis have a ruleset that can be used with proxy program (for annoymous web surfing) Proxymitron etc. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Will Scarlett

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Will,

The author Frederic runs his own support forum over on becky's. Nice guy, and very fast an accurate as for customer care.

regards,

paul

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

In addition to Paul's suggestion you may want to have a look at the following site for some ideas on rules for LnS.

http://itsec.commontology.de/firewalls/lns/lns-rules.html

CrazyM

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Will, if you are using v 2.03, i'd suggest you switch to 2.04 beta2 (stable version)
    Ensure you are using the enhanced ruleset which should cover everything, and which you load from the internet filtering screen.
    However, should you use an app not covered under the rules, just look at the log screen, and you will be able to make a rule directly from there once you identified the entry being blocked.

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Mickey,

I'm still running the 2.03 as well.

Can I use my present ruleset with the new version?

I made some alterations and additions to the default enhanced ruleset.

Or do you recommend using the "new" one, and adding to that?

[edit] I just installed the 2.04 on top of my existing version, as I understood that poses no problem, and all is working fine with my existing ruleset.

The helpfile hasn't been updated, though. Any information about the new features? [/edit]

6. claire

claire Guest

From Frederic if this can help you
    Hi all,

A new 2.04 Beta 02 version is available:

English: http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/En/LooknStop_Setup_204b2.exe
    French: http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/Fr/Installation_LooknStop_204b2.exe

Here are the changes (compared to the 2.04 Beta 01):

Added:
    Windows 2000/XP, Application filtering: "Raw Socket" and direct IP connection supported.
    New option to activate the TCP Stateful Packet Inspection only for inbound (hidden option, only available through the registry for specific purpose)

Changes:
    In the Internet filtering, the dialog box to choose the applications has been improved (applications appear one time, only allowed applications are listed...).
    Win2000/XP: during the driver installation the command dialog box (DOS Like) no longer appears and an error dialog box is displayed in case of problem.

Fixes:
    Automatic selection of a rule in the Internet Filtering: sometimes the rule was activated for an application that wasn't selected
    Ruleset files can now be larger than 64 KB.
    Sometimes the automatic network adapter selection doesn't work at Look 'n' Stop startup.
    Sometimes the Apply button in the Options page was not greyed just after Look 'n' Stop is started.

Some other useful information:
    Check the last 2.04 Beta 01 announce to know the new features of the 2.04

to install the 2.04 Beta 02 over the 2.03 or the 2.04 Beta 01: just start the setup and answer Yes to the question, there's no need to uninstall the previous version first

this 2.04 Beta 02 version will expire by January 25th, 2003
    to re-install the 2.03 over the 2.04 Beta 02: two solutions:

1- uninstall the 2.04 beta 02, reboot, reinstall 2.03, reboot
    2- remove lnsfw.vxd/lnsfw1.vxd (Windows 9x/Me) or lnsfw.sys/lnsfw1.sys (2000/XP) and remove fwapi.dll, then execute the 2.03 setup and reboot

Regards,
    :)

7. TonyKlein

Thanks Claire.

I saw that one, and that's when I decided to install 2.04 on top of my present version.

However, it lists the changes compared to the 2.04 Beta 01 version, whereas I'd really like to see a comparison with v. 2.03, including some further explanation of the new features.

Cheers,

8. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

If you have made your own ruleset already adding to the enhanced ruleset and feel comfortable making changes, then by all means continue do so. All rulesets including your own are kept when you install new version on top of previous one.

9. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

TonyKlein,

Here is the original announcement from Frederic about changes from 2.03 to 2.04b1:

------------------
    This is the announce for the 2.04 Beta 01.

Here are the changes:

New Features:

TCP Stateful Packet inspection and dialog box with the TCP connection states.
    Internet Filtering rules enabled with application detected through the Application Filtering.
    Application Filtering: addition of a new attribute to allow or not applications that start another one which connects to Internet.
    Automatic Selection of the network adapter in the options
    Option to confirm when clicking the "Exit" button
    Option to lock all the buttons in the Log page when the password mode is enabled

Changes:

In raw logs, application name and application path have been added.
    In logs (application and files) a new type has been added to differentiate application connecting from application starting another one.

Fixes:

Under Windows XP, Fast User Switching handling to prevent some problems.
    The "Create Rule" in the Log page was not disabled when the password mode was enabled
    the operation to save the ruleset no longer takes a long time under Windows 2000 and XP.

Some other useful information:

To install the 2.04 Beta 01 over the 2.03: just start the setup and answer Yes to the question, there's no need to uninstall the 2.03 first the "TCP Stateful Packet Inspection" is not enabled by default, you have to activate it in the advanced options. When enabling this option, if there was some ongoing connections, some TCP SPI alerts may occur for this already active connections. This is normal (and actually it proves that the TCP SPI works) because the TCP SPI engine is not aware about TCP connections that have been established before the TCP SPI was activated.
    Before adding an application to an Internet Filtering rule, it is recommended to not have this application currently connected. Otherwise some alerts could occur and the connected application will be disconnected.
    This beta will expire by October 25th, 2002. Before this date either the official 2.04 will be available or a new beta 2.04 will extend the beta phase.

To re-install the 2.03 over the 2.04 Beta 01, two solutions:
    1- uninstall the 2.04 beta 01, reboot, reinstall 2.03, reboot
    2- remove lnsfw.vxd/lnsfw1.vxd (Windows 9x/Me) or lnsfw.sys/lnsfw1.sys (2000/XP) and remove fwapi.dll, then execute the 2.03 setup and reboot
    for any question related to this beta version, post here or send a mail to Email: looknstop@soft4ever.com,
    please specify the version of windows your are using and the kind of internet connection (Dialup, Cable, xDSL, PPPoE, LAN, ICS, ...).

Regards,

Frederic.
    --------------------

As to more detailed instructions on the features, I am sure when it goes "Gold" Frederic will update his site and have a new help file.

HTH.

Regards,
    Kent

10. TonyKlein

Thanks guys! :)

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.