Lojack for Computers 50%

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by x942, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

If any is interested in getting Lojack for extra protection (like me) it is 50% off today only via groupon. http://www.groupon.com/deals/lojack

It's actually a great deal I got 3 years for less than 1 year regular price. Just though I give a heads up to any one looking for good anti-theft software. I am using it with PGP WDE and Intel anti theft technology.

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I was thinkinig of putting it on my father's laptop. How effective do you think it will be in recovering a stolen laptop?

3. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Does it install to some kind of chip on your mother board? how is it supposed to work if the thief cant even get past your encryption? and doesn't Intel anti theft already disable the machine from a user trying to reinstall windows, on your laptop, even if they change the hard drive?

I just don't understand how this would be of any use to someone using WDE and Intel anti-theft?

A free Alternative is PREY, or you can buy one of their premium packages if you crave more features.

Oh yea, also Intel works closely with the NSA as does Microsoft, so Intel most definitely has backdoors present in their hardware! but what newer hardware doesn't have a backdoor? lol as for Microsuck I call Windows 8, Windows NSA edition haha

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  4. x942

x942 Guest

I want to use IA thats why I bought it. It was cheaper then PGP Server. (which I am using now). IA works by deactivating the processor. Can the NSA get around? no need. If PGP isn't used just pull the HDD.

Using it with PGP WDE it actually erases the keys from the header rendering it useless until the recovery token is entered, THAN the PGP password is need to boot./decrypt. In which case no one (not even the NSA) could access the data if a secure (20+ password) is used. That said the NSA knows how to use side channel attacks. They would resort to using either torture, TEMPEST attacks, or Evil Maid attacks. The last is easily stopped and detected (hashes of MBR) so they would probably use the first two which are pretty much impossible to truly protect yourself from.

5. x942

x942 Guest

They tracking is great. But if you don't have intel anti-theft or Lojack built in to the BIOS it can easily be defeated. I just posted a thread about it.

6. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

The real question was, how is Lojack going to do anything for you if your using WDE? doesn't windows have to be turned on for them to track it

So basically it is useless if you are using WDE? because the thief cannot boot into windows to connect to the Internet!

7. x942

x942 Guest

You are correct. The reason I bought it is it's WAY cheaper then PGP Server. I was hopping I could use it in the same way, If the laptop is stolen and Powered on or stolen by someone with the/a password for it I can kill it remotely so they can't use it anymore.

PGP Server is better if you can afford it, the issue I had with Lojack (no solved) is that it never recognized my IA), the software lock was easily bypassed, and commands took forever (over 30 min) to get through. PGP gets it down almost instantly.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Yes my father has an HP laptop. It is pre-installed. I think I will go ahead and activate it. He has a building that he fixed up, sort of an office/clubhouse, for fun. But he has been broken into twice. The last time they took his flat screen TV and his laptop. I would like to catch them if it happens again. Someone elsewhere suggested that the laptop would not even have to be connected to the internet to be tracked.

9. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

That is correct, but only if the software is embedded in the hardware (BIOS) by manufacturer. So, for example, a thief can totally wipe/erase the hard disk (to all zeros) and the bios will still reload into new OS installation and make contact with lojack agents via internet. (According to their sales patter)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.