Logon Error Message

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by JeffUser1298, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffUser1298

JeffUser1298 Registered Member

Greetings:

Earlier today, I installed Process Guard v2. The computer was rebooted at that time, and the Windows XP Welcome Screen appeared requesting my password to enter the Windows XP Desktop in "Normal Mode."

I typed in the password successfully and the operating system allowed me permission to acess the desktop and all of its features.

I started Process Guard and inserted the "keyfile" as required. The OS and program appeared to be running normally during the day, occasionally requesting permission by some program or process to execute as a good indication that the "Process Guard Program" was working properly.

Later on this evening, after reading the instruction manual, I inserted several system processes and security programs (.exe extensions) into the "Protection Menu."

After I had inserted all of the programs that I was comfortable with, I rebooted the computer.

After reboot, the following happened:

The computer rebooted into "Normal Mode." The Windows XP Home Edition Welcome Screen appeared requesting my password.

I typed in the password and depressed the "execute/enter" arrow button with the mouse pointer to allow me access to the Windows XP desktop.

The following error message presented itself:

---------------
    Logon Message
    ---------------

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:

The parameter is incorrect.

Please try again or consult your system administrator.

-------------------------------------------------------

After I was unable to enter through "Normal Mode," I rebooted the computer into "Safe Mode." Again, the Welcome Screen presented itself, requesting my password, this time it accepted the password and allowed me access to the the "Safe Mode" desktop.

I searched for the Windows Restore Utility, and selected the restore point prior to Process Guard v2's installation. No earlier versions of Process Guard were on the hard disk.

The Windows Restore Utility rebooted the computer into "Normal Mode."

The Windows XP Welcome Screen reappeared again, requesting my password, and this time, it accepted it, allowing me access to the Windows XP Desktop. The Windows XP Restore Utility also indicated that the restore point had been successfully completed to the earlier point in time prior to the Process Guard v2 installation.

I removed all remnants of the original Process Guard v2 installation, searching with "Windows Explorer" and "regedit" cleaning out any folders or registry entries related to Process Guard.

I then defragmented the hard disk.

I then reinstalled Process Guard v2 again.

The same sequence of events occured (X2 additional attempts) replicating the same error message each time.

The difference however on subsequent installations is that I never had a chance to even get back to the Windows Desktop. The Windows Welcome Screen, i.e. request for password was denied with the above error message each time.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Process Guard is a powerful program, I hope that I will be able to use it.

Sincerely,

JeffUser1298

2. linney

linney Registered Member

Something in the Checksum list of Process Guard has not been allowed to run. This is maybe still being picked up from the pguard.dat or pghash.dat files in System32.

Follow the instructions further up the forum for a safe and complete removal of Process Guard before you do any reinstall.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=16931

Leave the program in Learning Mode for a bit longer and try and run most of your programs, including reboots and logons.

3. JeffUser1298

JeffUser1298 Registered Member

linney

Thank you for the relevant information. I was successful in finding 'pguard.dat' still hiding in the system32 folder.

I was able to reinstall Process Guard. However, still had various problems. Tried installing and uninstalling around a half dozen times.

I thought it might be when I added a program to the "Protection Menu," but other times, the computer would just lock up on shut down etc., when trying to use the restore point etc.

I believe that this is a very powerful program, but the effects of it must replicate itself each time for every machine. I assume that some particular configuration on my machine does not agree with the Process Guard program. As its development continues, I will be watching for future revisions.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.