log question - Ethernet type 86DD

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by anonuser, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonuser

anonuser Guest

Uppload of ETH (Ethernet:86DD) to 33:33:00:00:00:02 is blocked by "Block: All other packets".

Haven't seen it before, but it keeps coming back now. Does someone have an idea of what is is? If it is something that perhaps should be allowed?

Thank you for your time.

2. JF

JF LnS Support

Re: log question

Hello,

IPv6 packets are transmitted in standard Ethernet frames. The
    Ethernet header contains the Destination and Source Ethernet
    addresses and the Ethernet type code, which must contain the value
    86DD hexadecimal. The data field contains the IPv6 header followed
    immediately by the payload, and possibly padding octets to meet the
    minimum frame size for the Ethernet link.

Source : http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2464.html

Regards,
    JF

3. anonuser

anonuser Guest

Re: log question

Thank you. As I dont recognise the destination address I'll leave it blocked.

4. anonuser

anonuser Guest

When these entries appear in the log, my wifi authentification (wpa) goes down for 5 or 10 seconds, and then comes back again. I'm also using the wifi wpa authentification rule (ETH - 0x888E) mentioned in other threads, and it works fine.

A strange thing is that one of the two mac addresses to which my comp is trying to upload the Ethernet:86DD packtets has the same last six digits as the wireless card of my comp. Well, maybe it's not strange at all, what do I know, but it seems strange to me.

So maybe one should allow upload of Ethernet:86DD after all. I hesitate. What if it is some evil hacker (and/or) neighbour who's up to something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.