Log All Objects = BAD IDEA

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by techie007, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

So I decided to turn on Log All Objects on my NOD32 v3 (Business Ed.) install.

I decided to try it after reading Blackspear's tutorial.

As the title states, BAD IDEA, and I'm glad I tested it before deploying it to other clients.

My ESET log files averaged sizes between 2KB-1.5MB, after a day of "Log All Objects" I now have a log file that is 168MB and growing! :eek:

This log file is TORTURE to work with. The EGUI goes out of control and eats up the 200MB of RAM (or more) it requires to work with the file, and slows to a crawl (at full CPU thread usage) until it's done processing it -- appearing to lock while waiting, etc.

Not to mention the time involved in requesting it through the RA server! :eek:

Exporting it to plain text took ~two minutes on my P4 3.0/1.5GB system.

I ended up with a 32MB plain text file! I'm not even going to try and load that into notepad, Go Notepad++! :)

So I'd say "Log All Objects" is a debug and/or emergency setting, and setting it for day to day usage is not a good idea.

Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.