Locking the Internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

What is the best way to keep kids off bad sites? Other than keeping them off the computer.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Perhaps using OpenDNS.... http://www.opendns.com/

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

opendns or K9

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

You must have a couple of libraries within driving distance .... see if the peeps that keep those systems in line would be willing to offer you their advice. They're usually friendly when they're not too busy. Title search when you've got time, plenty of good suggestions along with those already given.

t-search.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

To my mind this is more of a behavioural/social issue than a software one. For sure, there are applications and procedures that can keep certain user accounts from accessing known unsavoury sites, if that's what is wanted. And from reports read they seem to do a pretty good job.
    Nothing will stop a determined and curious child/teen from accessing such sites if that is what they want to do, however.
    Open communication is important, having the computer in a family room (not a private bedroom) is important. Not only to discourage the kids from reaching bad sites, but to protect them from getting "in too deep" on chatrooms etc.

If you just want to screen content from an innocent (rather than a determined and curious tween/teen) the applications listed should do the job nicely.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

How about search preferences for starters...

Attached Files:

• gss.PNG
      gss.PNG
      File size:
      9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Thank you all for the help. I am looking into K9.

8. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Never rule out your kids ability to find out what is blocking them viewing sites you want banned (if you go software option). OpenDNS pretty much ensures they won't be able to decipher what is blocking them. There are no programs running on the computer with OpenDNS so the chances are pretty much zero of them finding a way around the filtering.

http://www.opendns.com/solutions/homenetwork/

It's a free service and well worth having. Besides the parenting controls you can prevent many dangerous malware sites from getting near your computer.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

K9 is a good choice if you go that route. It's limited though.

This is where I continue to argue that AOL was truly ahead of its time. If all we knew was a wide-open Internet and we never went through the period of the old "online services" (AOL, Prodigy, Compuserve), there would be a tremendous need for something that looks very much like the AOL of old. The "walled garden" would all of a sudden have appeal as a safe harbor for families. Imagine going from the wild west of the free-for-all of the net to a company marketing and advertising a family-friendly "Internet" that keeps much of the trash out, much of the spam away and caters to the needs of the average family. I know it sounds odd, because we did go though the period the the "online services" but now, I honestly believe it would be seen as a great alternative to what we have today. It's still possible if AOL were to play up the very things that people make fun of these days. I'm probably the only one who sees it that way though, and I know it sounds odd, but I actually believe AOL was, truly, ahead of its time.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That subject might be an interesting topic for another thread Gerard. :) Not this thread however.

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

My kids have been online with only a router restricting thier accessing anything except specific sites. I set up rules in the router for their mac addresses, and then the list of allowed websites. You know, starwars.com and barbie.com, stuff like that. If they want to use something like wikipedia, it is on a computer that someone is near to keep things under control. But then, I think it depends on the age. Mine are mostly young enough they don't need much in way of resrearch tools, so I allow them to pursue thier interests and it keeps them happy, mostly.

Sul.

13. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Sorry - didn't realize it was that intrusive. :) People add afterthoughts all the time - it was on the topic of family-friendly internet.

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Parental supervision, old style.

My perspective: young children don't need internet access, except for some rare exceptions. They may not like that because of issues with their peers.

If the child is old enough, talk to him, explain things, and make sure they act responsibly just like they would with school, matches, money, etc.
    If he isn't ready for that responsibility, don't allow access to the internet at all, or only when you are looking over his shoulder. I know that sounds old-fashioned, but that doesn't make it wrong.

If the 'child' gets older, for example 14 years, the situation changes. By that age a kid doesn't need your permission or your computer to get free access to the internet. Meaning, he will find a way around any restrictions.

I think using a keylogger is wrong, unless the child is aware that one is used.
    There are all sorts of filtering and restriction techniques available, each with advantages and disadvantages. But nothing trumps responsibility.

Note: I don't adhere to political correctness and don't use 'he/she', 'their', but use 'he' for both male and female, which is valid in the English language.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.