Locked GUI.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Banger696, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

Nice.

Help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

is that white/green N icon (it was shown in the initial shot posted) Norman running in real-time as well?

well there is the screenshot but not much to it, e.g. what action lead to it - trying to disable/enable something? what is the OS (x86/x64) and NOD version?

3. Banger696

I think it was after an update. The other icon is an ADSL monitor. Gui was locked up all day tried to do stuff with it and nothing responded. Win XP SP3, had to reboot. I don't understand the permissions as I'm running as Admin. Nod version is 4.2.64. 32 bit

4. vtol

vtol Registered Member

to get the sequence right - you assume that there was an update of some nature to NOD - today, an idea around which time GMT this happened?
    after that you obviously opened the GUI at some point - what is the 'stuff' you were doing there - disabling the protection? and then it suddenly locked when you pressed ok?

and is every back to normal after the reboot?

5. Banger696

I went to check the current version of the signature and it was blank in the update window. Checked the log and it appears last update 5662 was at 11AM GMT, went to advanced setup cleared cache and tried to disable real time protection to see if I could restart Egui without rebooting then screenshot. Ended up rebooting. :rolleyes: After reboot everything seems normal. I still think there's a bug in the update module. Here's my current module list.

Virus signature database: 5665 (20101201)
    Update module: 1031 (20091029)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1293 (20101110)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1115 (20101116)
    Archive support module: 1123 (2010110:cool:
    Cleaner module: 1048 (20091123)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1021 (20100811)
    SysInspector module: 1217 (20100907)
    Self-defense support module : 1016 (20100404)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 (20100727)

6. vtol

vtol Registered Member

find anything in the XP logs?

there could be a begin explanation of all of this - glitch in the NOD GUI (as there are actually a few), overheated GPU/CPU/HDD or a NOD bug introduced by an NOD update (not impossible but unlikely)

and although I prefer to doubt it there is still the chance that something was just waiting for the protection to be disabled

now after the reboot is everything back to normal, with protection enabled? if so - did you try again to reproduce it or prefer not to?

7. Banger696

Nothing in XP Logs just normal messages about starting services after reboot. No entries around around 11AM in the XP Log at all. Machine stays on 24 hours.

Can't reproduce the error although I suspect it is a glitch in the update module which happens rarely, though still annoying.

Everything is back to normal after reboot and it has updated to 5665. I have had this before about a month back and emailed ESET but never got a reply. Other machines don't seem to suffer this just this Machine which I mainly use. Only other thing that happened in the last 24 hours was I upgraded hard disks from IDE to SATA and cloned the system onto the new drive using Seagate DiscWizard but I don't think that's related as the GUI has locked before. Marcus mentioned a memory dump before but I can't email 4 gig.

The GUI totally locked when I tried to click "here" on the information dialog to find out more, then had to reboot.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. vtol

vtol Registered Member

perhaps Marcos or any of the other Eset mods can contact you via PM and advise you for upload destination and procedure of the dump. reckon the developers could be interested to look into it

9. Banger696

Just had a thought. At around 11 today I was running WD Diagnostics Extended Hard disk test at around the time ESET but rechecking the event logs it looks like the last update was 20:10 last night. Checking the ESET list of updates shows 5662 was released at 20:05 (European Time?) so it could have been locked for 24 hours I just didn't notice. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.