Location of Temporary files

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by cjtc, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjtc

cjtc Registered Member

Is it possible to change the location of temporary files which are created when TDS-3 does a full system scan? I'd like to have them created over on a "scratch" partition rather than in a subfolder of the TDS-3 program file.

This is because I use GoBack to monitor my #1 drive, but keep a scratch partition on drive #2 which is not monitored by GoBack. So, since TDS-3 does all its unpacking into a subfolder of the program itself, it pretty-well wipes out the entire GoBack history due to the high number of temporary files it creates during the scan.

My TEMP and TMP system environment variables are already pointing to the scratch partition, but TDS seems not to obey these variables.

Advice would be appreciated.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    TDS only uses it's Unpk folder to unpack copies of original files elsewhere on your system, and normally it deletes those copies from that folder after the scan or does so after a next scan, or you can delete them from that folder manully if TDS did not do so automatically.
    So how could it wipe out goback partitions? Puzzling ....?
    Can you talk to Mr.Blaze, i remember him to use both TDS and GoBack, he might have good recommendations here how he does it?

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:eek: wow i never thought of that

that ideal is a great one

but are you sure that go-back history is being wiped out by tds

i have both tds at the highest level in scan control and tds never wipes out go-back history

norton system works on the other hand when you empty protected files will wipe history

or in one case i did run into this problem when i had several thing's running including tds then go-back restore point would give me a message saying theres been to much activity on this drive can not find safe point

type thing

see if you run or have to much running in the background with tds you will get go back history no safe points

for example i was installing allot of programs on this pc

i would scan with tds
    scan with norton
    install delete file
    after all that was done i would de-frag

i try to use go-back and it said the history was gone due to much activity on the drive.

I'm thinking if you have a small hard drive or do way to many-things like de-frag you lose go-back history

but i know what your saying you want tds temp in the other hard drive honestly i don't think its possible

the thing you might try is closeing all icons in your task bar and all process except the ones you need

run tds off line

after scan reboot you shouldn't lose go-back history

also which go-back do you have theres 3 kinds

gateway go-back came with gateway pc's and had allot of issues and a go back history lose problem they now have a patch for gate way pc's that came with go-back

2nd go-back was from roxio no longer supported it was sold to norton antiviruse company

3rd go-back is nortions go-back they have a basic version and a delux version i guess technically all together 4 different go-backs

which one do you have?

4. Mr.Blaze

:D hey cjtc am i geting this right basicly you got #1 main hd

then you got basicly a scratch partition you use as a dumpster for waste right?

brilliant

how do i set up my temp folders etc ect onto another drive to keep my main hd clean

i never done that befor and i have 3 difrent drives

i have a 80 gig hd internal a 20 gig internal and a 120 gig external

how would you set up my system any advice?

5. cjtc

cjtc Registered Member

Hi all,

To answer the various questions..

When I say "wipe out" the GoBack history, I really meant "swamp it" with the various unpacked files which were created for scanning. Yes, they were deleted OK once TDS had scanned them, but GoBack will monitor and save data for all the unpacked data AND the deletion. All this activity manages to fill up most of the GoBack buffer and therefore discard much of the previous history.

If TDS could be persuaded to use a different location for its temporary files, it could be set up to use a non-GoBack-monitored drive and thus avoid the problem by not swamping the GoBack history with the creation and deletion of all its temporary files.

I am using the new Norton GoBack 4.

Many programs obey the value of the System environment variables TEMP and TMP. Just set them using the Advanced options in the My Computer's Properties. Other programs allow their temp file locations to be specified in their UI.

I have 2 hard disks:
    #1 = 80GB and is monitored by GoBack. Programs and data.
    #2 = 120GB and is NOT monitored by GoBack. Scratch partition for Internet cache files, location of TEMP and TMP and the "download" folder for anything downloaded from the internet (if I keep them, they'll be put on CDs). Huge backup partition in which PowerQuest V2i Protector puts its image files.

Think this answers all. But how do I get TDS-3 to use this scratch partition for its transient unpacking operations?

Chris

6. Mr.Blaze

i got norton goback 3 and my main hd is 80 gig i dont have goback 4 looks like i might not want it after reading this cause i dont have that problem

and it is caused by to much activity on your hard drive

bottom line get TDS-3 to use the scratch partition for its transient unpacking operations?

galvin and wayne have to step in on this one

and im sure they will

thats a good set up i wish to come back in my next life as smart as you

and thx for your advice

i only wish i could had help you better seems the problem is with your goback 4

i hope you can use the scratch partition for its transient unpacking operations for tds to that hd

cause i want to do it to

7. Mr.Blaze

hey i got a qustion couldnt you install the tds on the scratch partition for its transient unpacking operations and scan your main drive that way example

blaze installs tds on partition rather then main drive

that way all stuff goes to partition drive while i scan my main drive by opening up my computer icon and right click on main drive and select scan with tds?

never done it befor

would be cool if you could

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I don't have GoBack and know nothing about it :oops:
    So it could be that I am completely wrong:

Is it not possible to temporarily close GoBack while you let TDS-3 do its full system scan?
    And after TDS-3 is ready and you have rebooted to enable GoBack again?

Or would that mean you loose your GoBack History ?

Gives GoBack the possibility to disregard a certain folder (directory) ?
    If it gives that possibility, then you could try to tell GoBack not to look at changes in the TDS-3 unpack-folder...

Well, only a few thoughts; maybe I was completely wrong.....

9. cjtc

cjtc Registered Member

Hi Fanj

1) as you guessed, disabling GoBack means destroying it's entire history and rebooting with GoBack disabled. That's even worse than filling up the history with TDS-3's temporary unpacking issues!

2) can't disregard folders in GoBack. It works right at the driver level and not at the file system level.

Mr Blaize,

Installing TDS-3 on my drive #2 (not GoBack protected)... Yes, that would certainly work. But it does mean that, under my present scheme, TDS-3 would not be protected either by GoBack or by V2i Protector. Still, it's worth a thought. Maybe I do want a "program files" on a non-GoBack-protected partition. Hmmm. Food for thought that. Thanks.

Even so, it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It really should be possible to tell TDS-3 where it should be using for scratch space. Temp/transient files do not belong in a program files area, however brief their life.

Galvin, Wayne: can the temp file location be altered?

Chris

10. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Perhaps an strange solution, but you can install TDS-3 on your second (scratch-) drive (without the Go-back active).

The only problem then is, that you have the risc of having to reinstall TDS-3
    again, IF you need to wipe that disk.

But it takes only a few minutes to reinstall it, certainly if you place the install-ready version on your first hard-disk (with keyfile etc.)
    (you can also zip or CS this of course).

11. Mr.Blaze

well i already said that lol but i never tryed it so what if goback dont protect tds lol it on a sepreate drive it has it owen protection lol

i only knowen trojans and viruses to effect the main drive your useing

haveing tds on a sepreate secured and always clean drive might be way to go

hey up on top i think theres a tds 4 sugestion list i would post what you want in tds upcomeing tds 4

yup and reinstalling is perty easy still i havent tryed tds 3 on my second drive to see if it would work

12. cjtc

cjtc Registered Member

Yup. I'm with you both.

Since there's been no input from DCS, I'll be uninstalling TDS-3 from my primary drive and putting it on to the secondary. A few GB NTFS drive on disk #2 should do nicely.

I can include it in my V2i Protector backup anyhow.

Thanks for your input guys.

13. Mr.Blaze

can you tell me if it works for you cauyse that would be good to know for future refrences

ehh i think the dcs family is trying there hardest its just there over flooded so its hard to get back to people

see they just released pg 3 and lots of bugs come up in it so they have to fix that

then they just released port explorer 2.0 but haveing problems with unlock codes to registered ussers

then there converting all dcs products to unlock codes

plus working on tds 4

and sp2 is causeing havoc on lots of pc's

basicaly over kill on dcs thats why im giveing them a break no more anything from me
    ill wait till the dust settles and everything is as it should be

14. cjtc

cjtc Registered Member

Mr Blaze,

Yes, it works. I could see no reason why it wouldn't.
    I now have a 5GB partition on disk #2 which is not protected by GoBack. TDS-3 is now installed there, rather than on a partition on disk #1 which IS protected by GoBack.

Currently doing a "Full System Scan" with TDS-3 and the GoBack history is no longer being swamped by the creation and deletion of temporary files as TDS-3 performs unpacking/scanning operations.

As you rightly say, reinstalling TDS-3 really is no sweat, so keeping it protected with GoBack isn't strictly necessary anyway.

Good suggestion. Thanks to you and tuatara.

Chris

15. Mr.Blaze

thx Chris so much for your feed back it is very much aprechiated and its good to know we can run tds from other drives this for me opens up major posiablitys thank you Chris

16. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

I've been using TDS-3 this way for a long time,
    and if you need additional safety you can always use PG or TPF or other tools
    to protect your TDS.
    The worst case , if anything is wrong with TDS (by mistake or so) , you can reinstall it within 2 minutes, or backup it to another media CDRW or DVDRW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.