LNS Memory Leak

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Jeff, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Has anyone noticed when right clicking on the LNS tray icon to launch Help LNS goes up in Ram usage (from 3.5Mb typically to around 7Mb and doesn't free up all this newly eaten Ram until you open it's window and minimize back to the tray again?

Check it out in task manager and do a before and after comparison and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I noticed another thing whenever I first boot up my computer, LNS will always uses around 5Mb of ram and it won't drop back down to around 3.5Mb unless I open it and minimize it after which it will be fine and won't use anymore than ~3.5Mb of Ram for several days on end.

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

That's normal behaviour as your CPU is asked to perform additional tasks.
    It would be called memory leaked if performing that task several times, memory would then not drop back to it's original amount of ram used, which it does.

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey Jeff

On my System running Microsoft Windows XP Pro; when I right click on Look ‘n’ Stop’s Systray icon select “Help” the Mem increases 1,992 K, I don’t consider much to complain about. And for reasons already giving by MickeyTheMan, I too don’t consider this Memory Leak.

I Actually wouldn’t even think twice if Look ‘n’ Stop used 15,000K, have you even tried checking these others Software Firewalls Mem usage?

Packet Filtering Layer actually doesn’t even come close to 1MB of Mem usage, Application Filtering Layer provided in Look ‘n’ Stop Pro version which using most of that Mem usage you see there.

You’d probably come up with the same conclusions if you tried out Look ‘n’ Stop Lite version.

An additional note; Look ‘n’ Stop Pro can run on my 486/20mhz with 8MB of Ram smoothly when in-fact other Software Firewalls can not.

4. Phant0m

Also like to add that I’ve done incredibly heavy tests with Look ‘n’ Stop Pro version, one was setting an Hi box on my butt for 1 entire hour with 90-101packets per second being Logged, Look ‘n’ Stop Pro didn’t Freeze or even Delay. Look ‘n’ Stop ran speedy and smoothly throughout the entire session.

5. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I know that an increase in a few Megabytes of Ram isn't much to complain about for some people but that's beside the point I was making. I chose LNS firewall after having used other firewalls and wasn't happy with their excessive resource usage namely Sygate and Kerio though Kerio is actually pretty good but I was looking for something even lighter than Kerio so I kinda stumbled across LNS and was impressed. I'm very picky about applications taking more resources than needed as you can tell and will try everything until I get the perfect tool (no such thing obviously but LNS is close)

What I'm talking about isn't a typical memory leak in the sense it's continuously climbing in Ram usage and not freeing it, but rather it's not freeing up Ram to the previous state before I launched Help, I'm not being picky here but just curious why it's not releasing this memory even after I close Help which itself is a separate application NOT part of LNS firewall so why the increase in memory usage?

6. Phant0m

Hey Jeff

I completely understand how you feel; I’m very picky over my System resources too, using more then something has to-do in its field is just inapplicable! And that’s one of many, many reasons why I choose Look ‘n’ Stop.

Since you seem like such a nice guy I did some investigating earlier, it appears Look ‘n’ Stop is loading Look 'n' Stop Help into the looknstop.exe process rather then running the Look 'n' Stop Help as its own process.

Fresh re-boot

Before Loading Help | After Loading Help | Closing Help
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    120 Handles | 195 Handles | 163 Handles
    6 Threads | 9 Threads | 6 Threads

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Total Handles Left: 43 |

Additional Info; Opening and Minimizing Look 'n' Stop has no Affect...

7. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Hey Phant0m, thanks man for that info I thought there might have been a reason, I wonder why the author chose to implement it that way instead of loading help as a separate process like most applications.

Oh yeah just curious, are you using filemon or similar to find out those stats?

8. Phant0m

Hey Jeff

Anytime!

No i used NT Task Manager, View\Select Columns... "Handle Count, Thread Count" ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.