LnS didn't detect updated program

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Martin Aston, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

If I’m not mistaking many of todays Software Firewalls with Application Filtering uses at least MD5 checksum without any noticeable impact on the System & Internet Performance. If a vendor going to implement a feature why not focus on making it near perfection regardless of some additional requirements, after all security outweighs additional requirements.

Hey Defenestration; Look ‘n’ Stop does offer bit of protection of its registry settings, or it did when I last used Look ‘n’ Stop. From what I can re-call when Look ‘n’ Stop starts it loads its registry settings into the memory I believe where it can be referred to, any malicious activity to Look ‘n’ Stop registry settings will not be taking into effect until the next execution of Look ‘n’ Stop and by then Look ‘n’ Stop registry settings should be restored from memory upon exit of Look ‘n’ Stop GUI. Therefore manipulation would have to be done directly to memory.

2. mARTIN aSTON

mARTIN aSTON Guest

What's going on? Don't you use the program anymore? I thought you were the ultimate LnS diehard.;-)

3. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

LnS is pretty safe in this department then. The new method of starting LnS as a service should help here to by getting LnS up and running ASAP.

Good practice demands that LnS should be started (as a service) on system startup, and not be stopped until system shutdown (ie. don't terminate it yourself while Windows is running).

Is there any way to delay the LnS service from exiting (on system shutdown)
    so that it is one of the last services to be shutdown ? By doing so it would reduce the chances of the registry settings being changed between the time that LnS shuts down and the system actually being shutdown.

Call me paranoid if you like, but I am! :)

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Thanks to Thomas who sent us the 2 opera files showing the issue.

After investigation, the problem is not coming from the way the signature is computed but is related to the way Look 'n' Stop considers the exe file sections in the memory.
    Opera executables are special: they don't contain a CODE section only DATA sections (whereas one of the sections is really a CODE one). That's why it is causing the issue with Look 'n' Stop.

I will try to implement a workaround soon.

Regards,

Frederic

5. Defenestration

Hi Frederic,

I would still recommend using a better algorithm to create the signature (eg. MD5) even if that wasn't the reason for the original problem because using only a 32-bit signature is not very secure and is likely to cause problems in the future.

6. manuangi

manuangi Registered Member

I agree..and think that developing an MD5 check feature shouldn't be that difficult for Frederic! ;)
    Any possibility, mate? :)

7. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

or if Frederic wants to keep Look'n'Stop as light as possible, then give the option
    for the "light" checking, or for the MD5 checking ?

So a 133Mhz CPU would still be able to use Look'n'Stop.

regards,

gkweb.

8. manuangi

manuangi Registered Member

that could be a good idea..I don't think some firewall like that exists..I mean, one which gives you such an option...

so I guess LnS would rock if programmed "modularly"..I mean, we've been talking about the unlimited SPI yes/no, and that may very well be another entry..

9. Martin Aston

Martin Aston Guest

10. Martin Aston

Martin Aston Guest

I thought this problem was supposed to have been fixed.
    LnS 2.05p2 didn't detect the updated, latest beta version of WinMX.

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, I will make some tests again with this application.

Regards,

Frederic

12. Defenestration

I don't want to be pushy, but maybe a change in the way it's checksummed might improve it (although I realise you don't simply do a checksum of of the file)).

What do you think ?

13. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The problem is not related to the checksum itself, the problem is related to the code section detection of the PE executable.
    WinMX executable contains an unusual empty (and incorrect ?) section which causes the trouble:
    SECTION HEADER #1
    .text name
    12416F virtual size
    1000 virtual address (00401000 to 0052516E)
    0 size of raw data
    0 file pointer to raw data
    0 file pointer to relocation table
    0 file pointer to line numbers
    0 number of relocations
    0 number of line numbers
    E0000020 flags
    Code
    Execute Read Write​

Frederic

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Martin,

We have a fix, if you'd like to test it, please contact us at lnssupport@soft4ever.com.

Anyone else encountering a similar issue can contact us as well.

Regards,

Frederic

15. Defenestration

While people have criticised Frederic in the past for not providing great service (myself included), I have to commend you for this prompt response to quite a serious matter.

Keep it up! As someone else mentioned, LnS is the ideal firewall for internet gamers due to it's low resource usage. I have recently recommended it, and will continue to do so if the support stays at its current level.

Respect!

16. Martin Aston

Martin Aston Guest

I have tested the new LnS version and it works perfectly now.
    So, thank you for the very quick update. That's much appraciated.

17. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Outpost 2.5 is such.
    -hojtsy-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.