LnS 2.05p3 Firewall with KAV Beta 2006...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dja2k, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Who is using this combination and are they working fine? I am tired of the antihacker not accepting some rules and bittorrent rules are so slow in antihacker. I used to get better speeds with LnS. I haven't boughten KIS 2006 as I have been using only the beta keys for trial so I can easily go back to using LnS instead. I have been reading about conflicts with KAV and some firewalls, something to do with the way KAV uses an HTTP proxy to filter itself or something. Is that completely true and if so , does that mean no firewall gets along 100% with KAV? Besides antihacker passes most of the leaktests due to the proactive defense which I don't use as I am beta testing Prevx1 "R". So your thoughts on KAV beta 2006 and Looknstop 2.05p3 beta.

dja2k

2. tlu

tlu Guest

dja2k, I'm using this combination (with KAV 6.0.0.299) without any problems.

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yeah I figured that the tech release would be best to use for now since I am not using the proactive defense which is where the major problems are. Thanks for the reply, will do the same combo LNS plus KAV 2006 built 299.

dja2k

4. alfa1

alfa1 Registered Member

so do i...:D

5. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Another user here with no problems at all.

6. Mem

Mem Registered Member

The only problem I have with KAV6 is the Application Integrity control and anti-banner modules. The AIC gives high CPU usage, stalling the computer at times and the anti-banner seems to block a number of wanted things. Both have been corrected in the latest MP1 beta from what I can tell.

The web av module causes the HTTP scanner issue. KAV acts as a proxy, this is not a conflict in the usual sense of the word as this is what a proxy actually does. As a proxy, KAV6 takes outgoing packets on the network ports it monitors (which you can select) scans them and then KAV6 sends/recieves the information so it effectively connects to the remote. This is the normal role of a proxy and the issue would probably be the same for any proxy installed on your PC. If your firewall scans the connection stream for the application at the NIC interface, blocking an application (except KAV) on a KAV monitored port will not work. This issue includes LnS as being affected. It is easy to see - with KAV6 web av active, go to your firewall and block your specific browser from connecting to port 80. Then try to browse and see if you can (with port 80 blocked on the browser you shouldn't be able to). I haven't considered this a major malware problem - with the proactive defense module and others you would be alerted to code injection, etc prior to sending packets to KAV anyway. Where it could be a problem - if you have a trusted application and you want to block a portion of it for some reason. For me, one application is OE - I block port 80 so web becons and HTTP code does not get through but leave open ports 25 and 110. This is not possible unless I stop KAV from monitoring port 80 - basically turning off the web av for HTTP scanning.

Obviously this does not affect the KIS firewall and I have read of where Jetico is not affected. Most other 3rd party firewalls seem to be affected by a proxy.

Edited typo....

Last edited: May 6, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.