LNS 2.05 b1 - can't get it working with Win XP ICS

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Jeffrey Edwards, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I can't get ICS working with LNS installed. My machine is running XP, the client is running Win 98SE.

When I uninstall LNS and use the network setup wizard, ICS works fine. However, as soon as I put LNS back on it does not work. Even if I turn off the LNS driver for every network connection it doesn't work. Even if I have LNS not loaded it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. richter

richter Registered Member

It seems it could be a problem with software itself, I'm not sure however. Did you try reading FAQ's?

http://www.looknstop.com/En/faq.htm#compatible_ics
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/faq.htm#configure_ics

And maybe trying to apply specific rule:
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/rules/rules.htm

I am sure Phant0m`` will be more helpful than I am.

You might also want to check www.wilderssecurity.info

regards,

richter

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Thanks richter

Hey Jeffrey Edwards

Verify "Keep Internet filtering active after the application is left." feature isn’t enabled with a checkmark, temporary exit out of Look ‘n’ Stop and attempt to connect to your client machines via RUN (\\[Computer-IP]). Do you use or had used Nortons with the current Windows Install?

4. Thanks Richter and Phantom.

I have read the FAQs, they no special configuration (eg rules) is required for using ICS on XP.

I will check that feature tonight Phantom.

Jeff

5. Phant0m

Do you use Norton Anti-Virus?

6. richter

If you had any of their products installed I think you might want to consider running additional cleanup utilities available on their site and also do some manual file searching and registry cleaning afterwards.

7. Jeff E

Jeff E Guest

This is a fresh install of XP, I have never had any Norton software on here.

The "Keep Internet filtering active after the application is left" option was off all along.

Still does not work. There is no problem with connectivity - both machines can see each other in windows networking and tcp/ip is fine (pinging).

On the XP machine it does not recognize an internet gateway with LNS installed.

Arg!

8. Phant0m

Hey Jeff E

Look ‘n’ Stop is packed with two rule-sets, following are;
    StandardRulesSet.rls (Primary)
    EnhancedRulesSet.rls (Secondary)

If you using EnhancedRulesSet.rls (Secondary) Look ‘n’ Stop rule-set which you should be anyways rather than using Look ‘n’ Stop Primary rule-set, therefore what has been said about no need for a specific ICS server rule doesn’t apply here.

* Are you using EnhancedRulesSet.rls?
    (Note: If not then you should, see http://www.wilderssecurity.info/0301.shtml for information on switching)

I would highly recommend creating MAC rules.
    (Note: If you have any troubles don’t hesitate to ask for help)

9. Hi Phantom,

I am using the EnhancedRulesSet.

I did create some MAC rules but then removed them when I read that it should work without.

The fact that it does not work even with the driver unchecked is a concern. I don't understand how LNS could be doing anything with the driver unchecked and the program not loaded.

Not sure if it is related, but sometimes I have to close LNS to access web sites. If I access the site once with LNS off I can then reload LNS and access the site with no problem. It's seems like LNS is stopping the DNS lookup.

Getting to the stage where I need to put ethereal on just to see what is happening!

Regards,
    Jeff

10. Phant0m

Hey Jeffrey Edwards

To disable Look ‘n’ Stop you should always remove checkmark in Internet Filtering screen for “Internet filtering enabled”, or the checkmark for your Network interface shown in Options screen.

Also you should disable “Automatic selection” if you didn’t so already and check “Common to all users” in Options screen.

And for Internet Connection problem, that does appear to be DNS server possibly being blocked, you should be able to see logs in the Log screen indicating so. If the problem persists modify the rule named “UDP : Authorize name resolution (DNS)” and switch from “Equal my @” to “ALL” for “IP: Address” drop-list. ;)

11. Hey Phantom,

ICS still doesn't work after making the changes, and changing the DNS rule as you suggested didn't work either.

Might go back to 2.04... maybe the beta is buggy for me.

Otherwise I will have to try a different firewall which is a shame because this is my favourite.

Thanks,
    Jeff

12. richter

It's beta after all. I do suggest, if you can't get your ICS to work with 2.05 to revert back to latest stable version. I had some problems with LnS, and uninstalling and reinstalling sometimes helps. Tried that?

regards,

richter

13. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Jeff,

For the DNS related issue, as suggested by Phant0m, it is something with the Internet connection detection.
    When this occurs, could you check if the "Connected to internet" check box is selected on the Welcome page ?

For the ICS, could you confirm Look 'n' Stop is only installed on the Server ?
    If you deactivated the driver in the Windows options, and it still doesn't work, I suppose the related driver is not lnsfw.sys (packet filter) but the second one lnsfw1.sys (application filter).
    In this case could you try the following:
    - let the driver selected in the Windows options
    - rename lnsfw1.sys in lnsfw1.tmp
    - reboot
    - Look 'n' Stop will report an error but will start anyway without application filtering
    - does it solve the issue ?

If yes, it is the application filtering that is causing the issue, and I will need the BootLog (with the lnsfw1.sys enabled again) to see what is wrong.

Frederic

14. Phant0m

Hey Jeffrey Edwards

It would be very useful the log-file, if you didn’t already, enable “Log file” in Look ‘n’ Stop Options screen. If you just enabling it for the first time, reproduce those anomalies and send me the Logs via E-mail Phant0m@wilderssecurity.info

15. Alright! Now I'm getting somewhere (once again thanks to everyone for your assistance).

I turned on the Log file and turned off Automatically selection. I also uninstalled LNS from the client machine.

I renamed lnsfw1.sys as suggested by Frederic and rebooted. Lo and behold - ICS now works! Seems like the DNS problem is fixed as well.

Regarding the lnsfw1.sys file (which is now renamed lnsfw1.tmp), I recall problems with it when I was first installing LNS. There were some blue screens forcing me to restart the machine and pointing to that file.

Ok, so how can I get application filtering back?

Thanks,
    Jeff

16. Phant0m

Rename lnsfw1.tmp back to lnsfw1.sys, re-boot and take window captures of the entire Application Filtering List and send it to Phant0m@wilderssecurity.info . Obviously there is incorrect blockings on Applications which needs to be corrected.

17. Phant0m

Hey Jeffrey Edwards

In Application Filtering List, remove the deny flag on "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services [SVCHOST.EXE]. :)

18. Jeff E

Jeff E Guest

It's all working perfectly now.

Thanks Phantom (and others), you legend! :D

19. Phant0m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.