LivingSocial Hacked — More Than 50 Million Customer Names, Emails, Birthdates and Enc

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. aztony

aztony Registered Member

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Merged Threads to Continue Same Topic.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

There's a lot of links all saying the same thing in different ways. Let me cut through it for you:

1. If you have a LivingSocial account, change your password.
    2. That's all.

No credit card info taken, it was all encrypted anyway. LivingSocial reported it right away to customers and basically handled it the way every hacked company should.

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I would suggest people assure that the potentially compromised password is not used anywhere at all any more. Change passwords wherever necessary. I would also suggest that they deactivate the compromised email address. IOW, stop using it anywhere and create a new one to replace it, updating all the accounts where it was used.

Based on what I've seen over the years I think it rather common for even supposedly reputable companies to withhold information and/or be late to divulge details. So I'd suggest that all victims of such or similar breaches keep and eye/ear out for "late details" and also keep closer tabs on accounts that could be affected. It is generally wise to monitor credit history on a regular basis.

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Until this thread, I have never heard of LivingSocial. I looked it up, not my cup of tea. We don't use Malaysian Ringgit here either... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.