Lite 2011

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by arran, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

When I setup file Exclusion list and turn it on and after rebooting in Virtual mode
    my files in the Exclusion list Disappear and saved changes are not made to them, Why is this?

Also License key not work is it because I uninstalled system safe pro before installing the Lite version?

Attached Files:

• hm.JPG
      hm.JPG
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

The exclusions should remain until you specifically select a list item and then use the "Remove" button. Where are the files located?

RVS Lite and RSS Pro licensing currently use different formats so are not compatible. IOW you can't use an RSS License with RVS Lite and visa-versa.

Mike

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Mike, how do you buy Lite 2011? Clicking on "Buy now" in the GUI takes you to a purchase page but only Pro is listed for purchase.

4. arran

arran Registered Member

So are you saying I have to buy another License to use Lite version?

5. Coldmoon

Strange - will check this and get back to you as soon as possible.

Mike

6. Coldmoon

Check you PM box - its full.

Mike

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. arran

arran Registered Member

Mike I found out why the exclusions on my file list didn't remain, Its because I had True Crypt full disk encryption as soon as I Unencrypted the system disk the file exclusions worked properly. Its interesting how the "save file" feature works on the system safe pro version with full disk encryption but File
    exclusions don't work on the Lite version.

pm box cleared.

8. Coldmoon

Thanks for the follow up. I have updated the team with your report.

See your PM now ;)

Mike

9. arran

arran Registered Member

10. Coldmoon

Yes, both programs should be updated.

Mike

11. arran

arran Registered Member

Hi Coldmoon just wondering if your team has confirmed the file exclusions conflict with True Crypt full disk encryption?

Are they going to fix it?

what is the time frame?

Also on Lite 2011 why does rvscore.exe always want to access the net?

12. Coldmoon

The lead is aware of this report and is researching the issue.

If there is a defect, the defect will be addressed as always.

At the moment I do not have any feedback on the investigation so it would be impossible for me to supply an ETA on any fix. Once I know the details, you will know shortly afterwards...

The System Guard is checking for any new updates for its anti-circumventor feature. If the check is blocked or you are in an isolated network, the software will still work as expected regardless of its ability to check.

Mike

13. Scoobs72

Any news on this?

14. Coldmoon

Hi Scoobs72,
    Yes, send an inquiry for a pricing quote on the following page:

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/support/sales

Licensing: Perpetual, but requires purchase of support in following years. IOW, you get support services included in the initial purchase period and then you will need to purchase support services after this time is over.

Mike

15. arran

arran Registered Member

But I have System Guard feature disabled o_O

How come the Lite version pricing isn't listed on the website?

16. Coldmoon

Issue noted and reported to the RVS Lite project lead.

As it is an alternative to the main 3x line and the fact that licensing has a multi-seat minimum, requesting a quote gives the sales team a great deal of flexibility to work with the potential customer in formulating licensing for that customer specifically.

Mike

17. Scoobs72

That is a real shame. So in other words Lite is not intended for the home user market. I might as well uninstall it now. :mad:

18. arran

arran Registered Member

Due to the fact that I can't have my OS Disk Drive Unencrypted forever that the time frame is Unknown for Returnil to fix the file exclusions conflict with True Crypt full disk encryption, I have had to Uninstall Returnil and I am now using Shadow Defender instead.

With Shadow Defender you can add files to the exclusions list while in Virtual mode, it also has a commit now feature where you can save any random file or folder to the real disk at any time. Its registration is done off line. It does not make any out bound connection attempts. Its very simple and has no Bloatware.

But back to Returnil I will be testing any new Lite 2011 versions that Returnil brings out in the future.

19. Coldmoon

Same with RVS Lite 2011

Same with all versions of RVS/RSS. Its called the Virtual Disk with further options in RSS Pro and RVS Classic 2011 (coming soon) which includes automated saving to disk at a selected interval or at log-off/shutdown, selective virtual to real and real to virtual, and remote management for efficient scaling within networks.

None of which SD offers ;)

Same for RVS Lite 2011 for efficient support of inner ring and high security isolated networks. It also includes an integrated management console that allows remote management from any Windows computer in the network which SD does not offer ;)

Which means that to upgrade the software with protection against the latest virtualization circumventor you have to download and deploy a new build. This means it is extremely problematic for customers other than single seat consumers.

There is nothing "bloatish" about any version of RVS/RSS as they only include what is needed to accomplish the mission the software was designed to achieve. RVS Lite 2011 is a system level virtualization solution with a security design and implementation focus, SD is simply a restore solution.

With that said however, Lite only provides a part of an overall security strategy whereas RSS Pro 2011 covers all the bases in a single application. This represents a significant saving for any network admin looking to reduce the number of programs he/she needs to monitor and keep updated, especially where license compliance is concerned. Where this person may have had to manage 4 or 5 separate solutions from (potentially) as many different vendors, you get a higher level of protection at a fraction of the cost.

In this economy, it is important for IT to be as lean and efficient as possible while doing all they can to reduce costs. Our solutions are designed to provide the highest level of security possible within the scope of the software's mission with aggressive pricing - you cannot say this about SD or any of our competitors who come from the restoration side of the spectrum with little or no real experience with true security.

Mike

20. subset

subset Registered Member

Will RVS Lite ever leave the Beta status respectively why is it kept in this Beta cage seemingly for no reason?

Cheers

21. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I second that question.

22. Werderforever

Werderforever Registered Member

Hello Mike,

please can you give me further information about RVS Classic 2011, which you have mentioned in Thread 19 "(Coming soon)" ?

I never heard something about that.

Many thanks for your help! :)

Werderforever

23. Coldmoon

It will be similar to the RVS 2010 Classic line without the Virus Guard component. In the new 2011 design however, it is sans the VG component completely so the installer is about a third of the current RSS 2011 installer.

Mike

24. Werderforever

Many thanks, Mike.

Seems very interesting for me! :thumb: Can you say when you approximately release the Classic 2011?

Werderforever

25. Werderforever

Any idea when Classic 2011 will be released?

And will it be free? If not, how much will it cost?

Werderforever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.