List of multi-engine AntiVirus Suites

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by halcyon, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

May 14, 2003
    Which brands offer multi-detection engine AntiVirus suites? And which suites do they offer?

I know of (including my personal opinions after the engines):

G-Data AVK 2006
    1. Bitdefender engine
    2. Kaspersky (aka AVP) engine
    + great combination of two engines. My back up on-demand scanner (for NOD32)

D-Data AVK 2007
    1. Avast engine
    2. Kaspersky engine
    - I don't know why they changed Bitdefender to Avast? Pricing. It certainly doesn't improve the detection (as av-comparatives has shown). EDIT: I just read the av-test roundup and AVK 2007 did indeed do better than AVK2006. Well, the difference is not that big, but I'm still somewhat puzzled.

F-Secure Anti-Virus 2007
    1. Kaspersky engine
    2. F-secure's own internal engine (Orion
    3. Lavasoft's Ad-Aware engine (Draco)
    4. F-secure's own internal engine (Libra)
    - Kaspersky + their own engines has good coverage (except perhaps for all the non-adware malware variants). I wish they'd dump Lavasoft and include another good anti-malware like AntiVir (currently). I'm just not sure they slow-as-hell software configuration could stand an addition of another engine though :)

TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 2
    1. BitDefender engine
    2. Norman engine
    - Haven't tried. Not the best combo according to tests, but not bad.

Secure Computing WebWasher
    1. internal own engine
    2. AntiVir engine
    - Seems to have done well in one test and AntiVir currently has good engine/detection. This is a hw box only solution aimed at enterprise, which for me is a minus (price, my needs).

MS (ex-Sybari) Antigen
    1. can be configured with various engines, incl. ahnlab, cairis, cavet, command, kaspersky, nai, norman, sophos, spamcure, sybari, vbuster
    - Another enterprise server side product, which I have not tried and which is not suitable for my personal needs (could be a great tool for enterprise though, I have no idea)

Are there others, esp. ones that are meant as desktop installations?

Personally I'm getting really weary of the growing of running/updating/keeping up-to-date with multiple security applications. It just gets to be too much.

That's why I'm personally considering multi-engine AV-suites (to cover the AV defense part of security portfolio) these days.

I'll try another "pruning down" approach with other parts of the security setup also, but that's a subject for another thread.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  2. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Jun 8, 2006
    BullGuard Internet Security 7.0:
    BitDefender (antivirus)+Outpost (firewall)+their own internal antispyware engine.

Ashampoo Security Pack:
    Avira AntiVir (antivirus)+ their own firewall+antispyware from o_O (may be,A-Squared or Ad-Aware?).
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Nov 9, 2006
    France, May 1968
    GFi Mail Essentials for Exchange/SMTP:
    Kaspersky, McAfee, Norman, BitDefender, AVG
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.