List of multi-engine AntiVirus Suites

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by halcyon, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Which brands offer multi-detection engine AntiVirus suites? And which suites do they offer?

I know of (including my personal opinions after the engines):

G-Data AVK 2006
    1. Bitdefender engine
    2. Kaspersky (aka AVP) engine
    + great combination of two engines. My back up on-demand scanner (for NOD32)

D-Data AVK 2007
    1. Avast engine
    2. Kaspersky engine
    - I don't know why they changed Bitdefender to Avast? Pricing. It certainly doesn't improve the detection (as av-comparatives has shown). EDIT: I just read the av-test roundup and AVK 2007 did indeed do better than AVK2006. Well, the difference is not that big, but I'm still somewhat puzzled.

F-Secure Anti-Virus 2007
    1. Kaspersky engine
    2. F-secure's own internal engine (Orion
    3. Lavasoft's Ad-Aware engine (Draco)
    4. F-secure's own internal engine (Libra)
    - Kaspersky + their own engines has good coverage (except perhaps for all the non-adware malware variants). I wish they'd dump Lavasoft and include another good anti-malware like AntiVir (currently). I'm just not sure they slow-as-hell software configuration could stand an addition of another engine though :)

TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 2
    1. BitDefender engine
    2. Norman engine
    - Haven't tried. Not the best combo according to tests, but not bad.

Secure Computing WebWasher
    1. internal own engine
    2. AntiVir engine
    - Seems to have done well in one test and AntiVir currently has good engine/detection. This is a hw box only solution aimed at enterprise, which for me is a minus (price, my needs).

MS (ex-Sybari) Antigen
    1. can be configured with various engines, incl. ahnlab, cairis, cavet, command, kaspersky, nai, norman, sophos, spamcure, sybari, vbuster
    - Another enterprise server side product, which I have not tried and which is not suitable for my personal needs (could be a great tool for enterprise though, I have no idea)

Are there others, esp. ones that are meant as desktop installations?

Personally I'm getting really weary of the growing of running/updating/keeping up-to-date with multiple security applications. It just gets to be too much.

That's why I'm personally considering multi-engine AV-suites (to cover the AV defense part of security portfolio) these days.

I'll try another "pruning down" approach with other parts of the security setup also, but that's a subject for another thread.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  2. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

BullGuard Internet Security 7.0:
    BitDefender (antivirus)+Outpost (firewall)+their own internal antispyware engine.

Ashampoo Security Pack:
    Avira AntiVir (antivirus)+ their own firewall+antispyware from o_O (may be,A-Squared or Ad-Aware?).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

GFi Mail Essentials for Exchange/SMTP:
    Kaspersky, McAfee, Norman, BitDefender, AVG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.