Linux + Windows (virtual)= Ultimate Security

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by xpsunny, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

I am planning to permanently switch to Fedora Linux. I'm done with security apps and "hardware thingies" that claim to provide security. Its just sooooooo annoying to spend MORE time in protecting your PC than actually making productive use of it.

And all those ho..ha...booo...oh...oh dear...oh my my...oh my gosh ma PC is infected, oh noooooo.....oh dear I need to post at wilders forum to help me fix my infected PC....Woof...Woof....the new AV-comparatives results are out....AV A is waaaay better than AV B = dude u have violated the forum rules the thread is gonna be locked. Ma AV subscription is expired, I'm badly hit by recession...I can't afford to renew ma license what shall I do? Jesus please help me out by your magical grace!

AV 1 says: Our AV has best Protective defense
    AV 2 says: AV 1 is a piece of illusion. They cheat people. OUR AV is the best.
    AV 3 says: We are the fastest.
    AV 1 says: AV 3 is fastest because it does not have signature based detection.
    AV 3 says: Shut up AV 1! WE protect Windows but YOU protect only your own rouge software (what YOU call an AV!!) by using protective defense.
    AV 2 says: AV 1 and AV 3 have illiterate developers. Please ignore them.

Isn't that enough? I mean its high time for we the people to make a radical change in the IT arena.

The answer to all those ga ga ga is: Linux (Fedora) + Windows (via VMWare)= Ultimate Security

If u really love windows then use this: http://wiki.winehq.org/

You'll get the rock solid stability and security of Linux and awesome compatibility of Windows....:thumb:

No pain no gain....change is the law of life, embrace it and liberate yourself from the tyranny of malwares...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Farewell then.

:rolleyes:

3. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Funniest post i ever read.:D

But how do you play on Linux?I'm not a hardcore gamer but sometimes i want to play online with my friends.

4. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

XPSUNNY

You are soooo funny man :D. I've got to tell you, you are right. I'm planning to switch also. However, I'm going to use Ubuntu and virtualbox. Right now I'm dual booting Ubuntu 9.10 with Windows 7 ultimate. Tonight I'm going to play around with MythTV and see if I can configure it, wish me luck. If I can configure MythTV properly, then my planning will be complete and consequently, I can switch to Ubuntu permanently.

P.S.: Could you tell me the reasons why you chose Fedora over other distros like Ubuntu, openSUSE, LinuxMint etc...

Thanks.

5. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

@CogitoTesting

Reasons why I chose fedora:
    1. More features than Ubuntu
    2. Periodic development and release of new versions of Fedora (new version of fedora is released almost every 6 months).
    3. Slightly faster startup speed.
    4. Take a look here 4 more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_%28operating_system%29

AV companies makes us fool,
    Malwares smell like dirty stool,
    Linux's kernel is so cool,
    Windows has compatibility pool,
    Secure Linux has warmth like wool....

6. korben

korben Registered Member

+1

It's like you'va paraphrased me... from a couple of months back when I painstakingly made attempts at securing my 7 x64
    ultimate answer - it's way too complex/ illusional/ temporary / POINTLESS

my POV - windows never was secure and never will be as they keep it bug-infested penetration-vulnerable to feed countless application merchandisers

the answer is Linux, at least for now, until it reaches more users and stops being somewhat niche-oriented.

no one could change my mind, I've been observing this carry-on for last 10 years and I know I'm right.

I mean it's good there are more and more freeware products but their policy is often shaky [see comodo]

In a nutshell - securing your windows is a waste of time and sometimes your money too

when do I feel safe? when surfing on linux on my VM

peace

7. CogitoTesting

8. Heh, good luck trying to get stuff to work in Wine. Most of the time it doesn't.

Re security features... On Vista/7, UAC provides LUA, some HIPS functionality, and sandboxing... Hey, add DEP and we're done. Happy surfing.

(I personally dislike Vista and 7, but on default security they're way better than XP, especially for novices. Probably comparable to Linux security-wise. Well, Ubuntu anyway. Something like Puppy is more similar to Windows 98.)

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Keeping windows secure is easy. A little bit of knowledge is needed though.
    VM needs resources( a powerfull system) to be fast. Wine is slow n doesn,t work as expected.

10. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

I think most people just like the feeling they are in a "bunker", having all their security software installed. Since this is unnecessary in Linux, most people can get the feeling it's more unsecure. Ubuntu with the default enabled Apparmor and normal account (no admin rights) is secure enough!

11. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I find it ironic that you state you are done with security apps in Windows but then choose the most security concious and restricting linux distribution there is.

12. CogitoTesting

On the other hand it is a quite a different feeling running Linux when you do not have to worry about this security app and that security app. It is actually a very pristine feeling, a feeling that put me in touch with how a computer or the Internet should be enjoyable. Right now, Windows is a bunker and I do not want to live in chains, I like my freedom. Whether it's a Fedora, Ubuntu or openSUSE etc... the only thing I know is that freedom is a beautiful thing; it is a concept that I was not aware when I was a full time Windows user. Now I do not live in fear and I'm not in my bunker anymore. I'm living planet Windows and I'm starting over with Linux. Glory be to God and long live Linux.

PS: Fedora is only restrictive when it come to restricted formats; however, there are some third party repositories that provides a way to play these restricted formats on Fedora.

Thanks.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I've got Win 7 setup with its built-in applocker and firewall with two-way rules, limited account of course. At idle, I've got 30 processes running. It is possible to run Windows securely without piling on 3rd party apps. Even without applocker, one could run something like Sandboxie and that would be more than enough for a secure environment and total processes would still be in the low 30's. There's a thread in these forums where some are complaining about all the many services Win 7 is running and how so many are listening on ports. In reality, the concerns are irrational.

14. demonon

demonon Guest

I personally feel secure enough if I just have an updated version of Windows.
    Anything else is just for convenience or if disaster strikes, but I take the same security/convenience measurements on Linux. Like a system backup and blocking ads/pop-ups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.