Linux: upgrading your distro?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Meltdown, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

How necessary is it to keep your Linux install up to date with the latest release of the distro you're using?

I know some distros (Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Sidux...) have incremental upgrades, where a few mouse clicks or terminal commands will keep everything up to date. But other distros (Slackware...?) lack that feature. Is it okay to stay with older packages?

Is whether you're using Linux for a desktop PC or a server a factor?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Older packages are fine if you don't need any new features, but security issues are a problem and some applications aren't the most secure in the world ;)

Also, you want to try and stay pretty current with the linux kernel since that is being continually upgraded and such.

I know in FreeBSD there is a portaudit package that scans all of the ports (programs) you have installed and tells you if any have security issues; NetBSD and OpenBSD have a similar one as well.

For arch linux, since it is a rolling release, all I do is type in pacman -Syu and my system is completely up to date with all the latest packages, kernels, etc. One reboot to get the new kernel loaded into memory, and I am fine and dandy which is quite nice.

For other distros, I really don't know how easy it is. I know ubuntu has some downloads manager, and pc-bsd has one as well.

For server vs. desktop, usually for a server, as long as there are no security problems (or feature you really really need) with your package, you leave it as is.

For the desktop, I like staying bleeding edge except on my old reliable pc that is seven years old and stays with OpenBSD -STABLE branch (by far the most reliable pc I own that will always boot no matter what hell I put it through which is saying something).

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Thanks for your input. I had been assuming there was a trade-off between stability and bleeding-edge, but from what you say it ain't necessarily so. I'll see how it plays out. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.