Linux Software that You Use to Replace Windows Software

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by AutoCascade, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thanks very much for the reply and the updates.
    Great that XnViewMP works for you after changing the high zoom quality options.

By the way, do you, or someone else, know whether the RIOT plugin is available for XnViewMP on Linux?
    I like RIOT a lot on Windows OS, and I know there's a RIOT plugin available for XnView, IrfanView and GIMP on Windows, but I don't know if that plugin is available for XnViewMP on Linux. If not, then I would need to look for an alternative to RIOT.

2. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Seems to be a zoho-based service. Quite a bit slow from where I live but nice.

3. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

My I ask how you auto-update Iceweasel? Do you add the parabola repo to the mirrorlist? If so, is there any way to only download/update Iceweasel from the parabola mirror and ignore everything else?

Thanks !

4. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I asked the RIOT developer.
    There is no RIOT plugin available for XnViewMP, GIMP or IrfanView on Linux.
    Wine would be the only option on Linux.
    So I think I'll try to find an as best as possible alternative for RIOT. I haven't found one that is as nice as RIOT, but I'll keep looking. It'll be quite some time till I migrate to Linux, anyhow.

5. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

Go to the page:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories#libre

Add the libre repo to your /etc/pacman.conf as per the instructions given there. Remember to place it after all the official arch repos. This will serve your purpose of only downloading/updating what you need from the libre repo and nothing else. Basically the repos above take precedence over the repos below.

6. zakazak

Ah nice ! Thanks :)

Are there any other recommended repos that are also trustworthy?

7. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

So let me check this: The Iceweasel version in the Parabola libre repo is version 40.0.deb1-2 and last updated on 2015-08-14 (which seems to match Firefox 40.0.2 published on 2015-08-13). The last official Firefox version as of today is 40.0.3 published on 2015-08-27 which fixes several bugs including a high and a critical rated vulnerability - which are obviously not fixed in the Parabola version. So you really prefer a Firefox ... ah, sorry: Iceweasel version which has known vulnerabilities - although those privacy-related settings mentioned earlier are easy to adjust in your Arch Linux Firefox version and many more settings can easily be changed as well and saved in a user.js file forever? I don't get it, sorry.

8. zakazak

I just checked Iceweasel: in AUR and on parabola is 40.0.3

9. summerheat

That's not what I see. https://www.parabola.nu/packages/libre/x86_64/iceweasel/ clearly says:
    EDIT: The version in AUR is indeed 40.0.3.deb3-2 - but that's not the Parabola version.

10. zakazak

Lol I added parabola to my repos and it showed 40.0.3... Cant provide a screenshot atm as my gf is doing some stuff.

11. UnknownK

The version of Iceweasel in Parabola is indeed 40.0.3. Their package data/lists are not getting updated since 15-08 due to some bug in the software they use for this purpose.

Edit: They have updated package data in the website today. Here is the link for Iceweasel:
    https://www.parabola.nu/packages/libre/x86_64/iceweasel/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  12. UnknownK

The first thing I would do after installing Arch linux is to add Infinality-bundle repo from bohoomil for better font rendering as Arch's default font rendering is very poor. If your fonts do not look good then this is your solution.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  13. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I am currently testing (using) WPS office. So far, so good. I mean, it's really a copy of MS office and works great. I ditched Libreoffice 4 and I will keep using WPS.
    Even if it's still alpha, no issues whatsoever till now.

14. summerheat

Okay, I see. I still don't understand, though, why one shoud add an extra repo in order to get a Firefox version with just a couple of settings changed. Which is something what one should do anyhow if privacy is a major concern.

15. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Got it, nice indeed.
    It complains about missing fonts upon start, but they are chinese fonts I think.
    Tried to download them but got an "internal server error".
    No big deal I guess.

16. summerheat

Have you also tried FreeOffice? I have and it's very fast. Its compatibility with MS Office is also said to be very good.

17. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

@summerheat I have it installed after you (or someone else..sorry) mentioned it before. So far I've found WPS UI more familiar and more modern, but I will try it too.
    @fblais I've got the same error prompt..not a big deal indeed.

18. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It's closed source and Chinese, I rather write by hand.

19. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

It's fonts required for write complicated math equations and the like. You can google what these fonts are, and copy these fonts from under Windows fonts directory to /home/.fonts folder in your Ubuntu (or corresponding directory for other distros).

20. summerheat

Haha, I was tempted to write this, too :D Okay, FreeOffice is closed source, too, but at least it's not Chinese ...

21. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

The computers you are using are most likely made in China. There are surely tons of spyware in your UEFI firmware or other low-level firmware in every piece of hardware components. So just smash your computers with hammer and write everything with hand.

22. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Aren't most of the pens/pencils made in China ? :)

On topic is there any site where we can find linux alternatives?

23. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

humm... it's an idea, or you can buy a stolen laptop and only connect through public hotspots
    I've also been checking second hand kitchen appliances on e-bay and similar sites (because of another thread here) free of electronics, and beautiful 50s and 60s pieces they are
    I've also... well, bottom line it's possible to anonymise yourself in this world of ours but it takes some imagination, one should mix tech knowledge with Fantômas and Arsène Lupin, early 20th with early 21st Centuries

disclaimer the above words were written in earnest and do not intend in any way to disrupt the original subject

24. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I don't. I just keep an eye on parabola's repo and download the new package whenever it's available. Then "pacman -U" on it.

25. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Calligra stage?
    Can you tell me what it is, please?

TIA!
    François

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.