Linux recommendation for older pc with atom processor and 1gig ram?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by roark37, Dec 23, 2015.

1. azrielle

azrielle Registered Member

Actually Antix MX 15.1.2 IS AVAILABLE as a 32 bit version, Inka. I am presently running it on an eMachines N270 Atom based netbook, with 2 Gb RAM, and a hybrid 500 Gb HDD, but on an 8 Gb ext4 partition. Manjaro fluxbox runs on it quite well from a multiboot live USB thumb drive; as does Kali lite, LXLE 12.04.5 32 bit, Porteus, and WattOS R6 or R8 (R7/7.5, and 9 or later WILL NOT WORK, as they use Ubuntu 13 and later, which no longer support non-PAE CPUs, of which the early Atoms were. Logitech wireless mice are immediately recognized by all the ones I mentioned. Mint 13 DOESN'T recognize my wireless mouse. Manjaro fluxbox actually works better than Manjaro netbook, btw.

2. azrielle

Xubuntu (MUST be based on12.xx or earlier) runs, barely, on my system. Lubuntu worked better, but LXLE is faster.I also recommend FATSLacko 5.3.3x-SCSI, if you can find a copy (dates back to 2012--which I happened to download back then, but never tried it until now). As also Easy Peasy 1.6, if you can find it. The alpha 2.0 version which is the only one I've been been able to find, WON'T LOAD AT ALL.

3. azrielle

I managed to get AntiX to install as a dual boot with Win-7, after shrinking the Windows partition as much as Windows would allow. As also on my Acer 11.6" i5 based notebook. Which I then installed Manjaro XFCE 64 bit onto a second logical partition, and all three of them will boot from GRUB.

I also installed AntiX MX onto an ancient desktop that Win-7 (originally 2000) crashed about a year ago. Athlon XP2200+ (32 bit) and 1792 Mb RAM, and 4 HDDs that Windoz didn't recognize, but AntiX did.

I haven't actually tried plugging in an ethernet cable to any of the computers yet, so I don't know if the ethernet will work or not. BUT, my Netbook install recognizes my Belkin.804 WiFi, once I manually entered in the info on the bottom of it. Managed to update everything, and install a bunch of extra programs, including Opera, Calibre, and LibreCAD.

I am a Linux noob btw--until about 4 days ago, the last time I did anything with Linux was in a college class back in 2001 that required us to install Debian non-gui onto computers with 64 Mb of RAM and 4 Gb HDDs. Point is, if I can do it (with some intensive Net research), ANYBODY can. I'm 63 and living solely on SS Disability.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.