linux mint and linux magazine prices

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lodore, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed that apt-get upgrade shows updates sometimes when the linux mint updater gui doesnt?

Has anyone notied how expensive linux magazines are?

a standard pc magazine aka one with a free cd with lots of programs for windows is around £4 for a month issue.
    the dvd version is normally £5

All the linux magazines ive found are £6. the distros that come on a disc with the magazine im not interested in since i can download them for free from the distro website anyway. Im just interested in the information and the tips and tutorials.

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

The prices you mention would be a mouth-watering bargain in S. Africa. Eg. Linux Format magazine retails @ R169.95
    The rate of exchange is about R12 to 1 Pound Sterling = over 14 Sterling or nearly 3x the prices you mention. You don't know how 'lucky' you are. :)

PS. I can't find a Sterling sign in Character Map. o_O

3. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

No, I never noticed that. Might have something to do with the ratings Mint has for updates, 1, 2, 3, etc.

Here I can give you a more intelligent answer than I had for your first question. Since I worked in the newspaper/magazine business for almost nine years I know a little bit about this.

Magazines and newspapers generate their income mainly from the ads that are in them. Around 10 years ago a rep from the publisher of one of the well-known German news magazines told us that it cost approx. 9 DM per issue to publish and distribute, even though the retail price was 5 DM. They made up for this with the advertising. I also recall a magazine here called "Quick" which sold very well but folded anyway because they were no longer able to sell enough advertising for it.

At any rate, the circulation numbers for Linux magazines are only a fraction of what they are for Windows-centric publications. The larger the circulation the more they can get for advertising space. The Windows magazines will also attract more of the heavy hitters in computer advertising, like Symantec, McAfee, etc.

Taking that into consideration, they probably are just barely squeeking by with a price of six pounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.