linux mint 9 bundled with many cool features

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Love that background, also puts the rumor to rest that new Mint would be based off Debian and not Ubuntu.

3. mack_guy911

hmmm i guss
    it based on ubuntu but many features like software management and Backup Tool....etc is re right from Debian

4. linuxforall

Well many features in Ubuntu are debian, its after all debian based, some new wrappers here and some convenient features there.

5. mack_guy911

yea true :D

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It's been four months since I discovered it, and I still can't get over how much I love this distro. The only thing I dislike is that it uses Ubuntu's repos (full of stagnating, outdated software), but given it's other strengths, I'm perfectly willing to overlook that shortcoming.

Looking forward to the new mintMenu, especially the option to always start in favorites mode.

7. linuxforall

There a PPAs for many of the software in Ubuntu repos which then can be updated to latest, examples are Tramsission, Pidgin and many more where the devs have setup ppa to get the latest. Works in Ubuntu and Mint.

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Well... as I've already explained many times before (I'm sure some people are probably sick of it by now), it's still a less-than-ideal solution. Sure there're workarounds, but workarounds aren't solutions, and the problem is still there.

9. linuxforall

Few distros give latest unless some sort of 3rd party repository is added, thats the fact of life in linux, also there is getdeb which offers most of the stuff in deb form for both x32 and x64 for those needing latest. Its virtually impossible even for big resourceful teams like Fedora or Ubuntu to keep a track of all latest apps and port them with regularity without any regression testing, of course by enabling upstream, one can still manage to stay close to latest with some stability. Arch is actually quicker in that sense as any volunteer can create a package. In case of Ubuntu, unless and until security flaws or issues are experienced, the software stays as is but then every six months one does get a chance to get a fairly newer bunch of packages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.