Linux Mint 201303 "Debian" Released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheKid7, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Linux Mint 201303 "Debian" was released.
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07773

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

too bad they don't offer a XFCE or KDE version, because i like the rolling distro approach of Mint Debian

if you are not using a rolling distro having to re-install a OS from scratch every 6 months is quite an ordeal.

i think every major distros will move to a rolling type of release sooner or later.
    it's the way to go, imo...

3. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

The XFCE and even Gnome 2 versions are still available. You may have to change where the repos point to depending on whether you want Debian Testing or Stable, and of course G2 won't be in Testing anymore.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=14

4. moontan

tnx m8! :thumb:

i will give the XFCE version a try when i have a few days off.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't quite get it. If it's a rolling release, why does one need to install this update? Why doesn't everything just flow thru in updates to the original install? Or is that why they call it a "semi-rolling release"? Just curious.

6. moontan

i think it does.
    the major release are only for newcomers who want to download a relatively new version without having a whole bunch of updates when they install.

please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, yeah, that makes sense moontan. Thanks. My brain doesn't seem to be plugged in today.... lol.

8. moontan

i also forgot to mention that of course the major milestone versions available for download are known to be stable.

anyway, i think i'm gonna play with this tonight! :)

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It really depends if they can manage to maintain stability through major changes and cases where people miss a number of upgrades.

Being able to reliably upgrade, no mater the release cycle needs to be the priority.

I'd rather have a reliable 6 monthly upgrade than a rolling release that needs you to check forums for known issues.

Cheers, Nick

10. moontan

maybe you are right.

if one wants to make openSUSE a rolling release with Tumbleweed their pages comes with plenty of warning...
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

11. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

That was a large part of why Mint Debian went to the semi-rolling release. It's more stable than Debian Wheezy, which is what Mint Debian was pre-update packs, but its of course much more updated and not as solid as Squeeze. The pre-release software can also be accessed by a separate staging repo for community testing.

I've not used Mint Debian since UP3 but the update packs every 3 months or so seem to be pretty stable from what I read. They may even get extra TLC when the main Mint releases get switched over to Ubuntu's new release schedule.

12. moontan

not running so smooth here.

there's no app to install non-free drivers for NVIDIA video cards and others but that's fixed using Google and the terminal.lol

one thing i could not fix is there was no sound at all.
    it seems like i'm not the only one if you look at the Mint Debian forum.
    i spent an hour with Google, then gave up. ;)

13. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

It does, but you still might want a current iso if you reinstall, to avoid large after-installation updates.
    Just like you would not want to start with Debian 3 and update it to current if you are interested in Debian 7.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I get it now.. Same as I wouldn't want to use an original Win 7 disk and have to go thru all the updates up to and including SP1 when there is a newer SP1 ISO available. I hadn't thought of that when I first posted. Thanks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.