linux mint 16 boot loader

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ellison64, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I've installed linux mint on its own partitions (root,swap,home) after watching a tutorial video on dual booting with windows.I used easybcd to add the linux mint dialoge at bootup so I can choose linux or windows.The problem is when I choose to boot linux,it then opens the linux bootloader choices rather than just booting straight to linux.Is there a way to remove that linux dialouge?or is it an inherent part of linux mint?

2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

3. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

4. ellison64

I did and it messed up my windows mbr Everytime I booted into windows chkdsk wanted to run with an error that it was unable to This also happened to a colleague at work too.Personally I wouldn't let it mess with windows mbr again,and thats the reason for the manual installation. Easybcd doesn't see the Linux bootloader only the one manually entered otherwise I'd remove it..I have a feeling its inherent in the mint disk setup,but would like confirmation from someone who has installed mint manually too

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

AFAIK EasyBCD isn't a bootloader itself, so it needs to chainload a separate bootloader (like GRUB) to load any Linux OS.

6. ellison64

I Googled and found a solution by editing grub timeout from 10 secs to 0 secs in mint.I can now boot straight to Linux desktop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.