Linux Mint 12 Lisa KDE - I don't know what to think

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

We start this merry week with a review of Linux Mint 12 Lisa with KDE, focusing on live session, installation and post-install usage, covering look & feel, Wireless, Samba sharing, multimedia playback - Flash and MP3, dual-boot configuration with Windows 8, desktop effects, applications, system resources, stability, suspend & resume, problems with the theme, Wireless and KDE Wallet issues, login issues, some other small glitches, and more. Can this be the one distro to bring them all and in the geekiness bind them? Or do we wait for saffron and cinnamon?

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-lisa-kde.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Mrk, thanks for that review. I haven't tried that distro but will stick to Kubuntu which is very good, IMHO.

I might be wrong, but more and more I'm getting the impression that the relatively small Mint development team is taking on too much at once considering all those many flavours and projects they are managing.

3. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I don't really know what to think about it either? I Installed the x64 version alongside Windows 7 x64, I love how easy it is to install themes, and the way it looks after I tweaked it, but I hate the instability, so many issues with it freezing on me in the middle of trying to tweak settings. o_O I think Im going to keep it installed and hope for some nice updates in the near future to make things run more smooth instead of all whacked out. the updates are the most annoying though 45kbs :doubt: when I have a 20Mbs connection.....it took me 2 hours to download the updates o_O I dont know whats the problem?

Does KDE automatically install the ATI drivers for my graffix card? It seems to be working perfect with transparent themes. and does it already have all the multimedia codecs installed? It doesn't show either on the welcome screen like it does in linux mint 12.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Thanks for the review Mrk. Seems decent enough for the KDE afficionado.
    Peculiar mix of applications though, Amarok causing visual horreur=:thumbd: and that black menu border might be the worst, bleh!, still there is a slew of worse KDE distros available I guess. With a month of updates, it might be an 8/10 for the avid KDE fanbase.
    Again, thanks for saving me time not testing it and the 'Scary roll'...well, that's what I get for clicking on random stuff on the interwebz.
    'Commence to start the experiment!'

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The updates always make a great deal of difference. To be fair Dedoimedo reviewed an unpatched system. There will always be bugs when a new release is rolled out. Updating it right away makes it more responsive and stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.