Linux Mint 11 Katya review - Still the King (Queen)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks for that! I just checked via Software Manager and it's offering an update to 10.3.181.34-0natty1, whatever that is. But it still seems older than your version. Are you pulling down the plug-in directly from Adobe's site or are you getting it via Google Chrome? Since I'm new to the game, I'm sticking to the Software Manager route...

And this is what the blurb says:

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I did a plug-in update check @ Mozilla and the screenshot is attached.
    Plug.png
    They've been criticized for not being on the ball.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks, Ocky! But Tom's Flash version seems even newer o_O

I'm on 32-bit and no, I haven't enabled any repository. I'm just using the defaults. The only thing I did by myself was to pull down Aurora (Firefox 7) directly from Mozilla.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

vasa1, hello,
    Believe me you have the latest flash version, Tom just omitted the numeral '3' in front of '4'

:D :cool: :cool:

PS. Just to be sure, did you go to the test site ? (I don't want to risk telling you it's the latest when it may not be)..

6. tlu

tlu Guest

I guess that was only a typo ;)

That doesn't include flash. Don't worry - you have the newest version.
    BTW: Do you know that you don't have to download, e.g, Aurora from Mozilla directly as the Ubuntu Mozilla Team provides several ppa's which you can add in your package manager?

They are:

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/ archive/firefox-next for the beta channel - just add: ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ archive/firefox-aurora for the Aurora channel - just add: ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/firefox-aurora

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ archive/ppa for Trunk - just add: ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Just to confirm ..

flash plug.png = flash version.png

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks, Ocky & Tlu. I believe you guys about Flash being the latest. I don't like to visit Adobe's site more than is absolutely necessary. That's an irrational prejudice carried over from my MS Windows era.

Re. Aurora, once I got it from Mozilla it updates normally (= differentially ~600-700 KB via Tools, Help, Check for Updates) and so I don't have to go via a PPA at all.

Sooner or later, I'll have to learn about adding ppas to the update manager. It seems that that's necessary for updating Libre Office as well.

Right now, I'm trying to wrap my head around gufw since Firestarter seems not to be in active development.

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Not really needed unless you need to allow a certain service eg. ftp server.
    There are no listening services running by default that could accept remote connections, so all ports are effectively closed, even with iptables allowing all traffic.

Having said that I have gufw installed - quite frankly I am not sure why, lol, as I am also behind a router. sudo ufw status will show the changes you have made in gufw.

$ sudo ufw status

To Action From
    -- ------ ----
    135,139,445/tcp DENY Anywhere
    137,138/udp DENY Anywhere

135,139,445/tcp DENY OUT Anywhere
    137,138/udp DENY OUT Anywhere
    22 DENY OUT Anywhere

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm not behind a router when I connect via one ISP so I figured that the least I could do is to let (gufw) do its thing.
    This is all I did for now:
    Code:
    sudo ufw default deny
    sudo ufw enable
    sudo ufw logging on
    When I type "sudo ufw status" I just get "active" maybe because I haven't made any specific changes.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

vasa1, yes that's fine.

Correct. :)

sudo service iptables status
    or sudo iptables -nL
    (same)

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The first threw up this error (?): iptables: unrecognized service

The second provided a bunch of stuff which is way beyond me :(

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Ah, of course - the first command would work for Ubuntu/Mint older versions. Now it's upstart.
    The second one shows that all is well with your iptables i.e you have applied rules, otherwise you would get something like this in your output:-

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Okay :) my output with your second command was far more verbose. I can post it here (tomorrow) if you'd be willing to look it over.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I can confirm that partly. I downloaded vanilla 11.04 yesterday and am running it as a live USB currently. It's still Fx4.

So what seems to be happening is that the distro content is "frozen" on a particular date. Anyone downloading it a few months later will get exactly the same version as people who downloaded it on the release date. But those of us who download few months down the road will be offered a flood of updates whereas the early birds may have seen a regular trickle. The installation screen prompts for that if there's a net connection available, IIRC.

I don't know if you were prompted or not. And I feel it may not be correct to conclude that the repository is offering an old fox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.