Linux Mint 10 Julia - A Perfect 10!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Julia, here comes your Romeo, a handsome dude called Dedoimedo and he bringeth along a long, glowing review of Linux Mint 10 Julia, a Ubuntu-based distribution with the Gnome desktop, covering a perfect live session, installation and usage, with topics including multimedia codecs and playback - Flash, MP3, MMS, Compiz effects out of the box, a beautiful, stylish and classy theme, an extremely functional system menu and pretty icons, Software Manager with user reviews, a balanced repertoire of free and third-party programs, good performance and stability, suspend & resume, printing, and more. I like.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-julia.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Very nice, Mrk.
    I hope reviews like this makes it clear once and for all to the many (potential) linux users that Mint is much more than just a superficially polished Ubuntu+some codecs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mint crawls up the Distrowatch list even more if they keep up like this, especially if Ubuntu has gone Unity.
    Mint for the win.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I've got it installed with Windows on both my desktop and HP laptop. All is good except the battery monitor on the laptop always displays "estimating..." instead of an actual percentage of battery capacity remaining. A small nusance, but an otherwise excellent distro.

4. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Thanks for the review Mrkvonic, your hard work much appreciated. Julia is the only distro I have tried that sees the wireless card on my laptop "straight out of the box". For the first time I am dual-booting Vista and Mint and very happy that I can do so at long last.

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Mrkvonic

its one of your best review i guess ......in which you give a distro full 10/10 :p

yes perfect look :))

default they have open port 139, 445 and 631 can be closed with Gufw (scan by nmap) if you dont use sharing samba....etc feature like me.

also if AppArmor profiles profile given by default and lvm and full disk encryption type feature at least in dvd it would be most rocking on security side as well :D

Fly on search is one of best feature we can also install the software as well form menu by just typing the name of software (eg: zenmap)

and one small thing i guess i found it great is desktop setting utility for those who like small icon.......mac like button ....etc its yet very small thing but very good and effected.

overall its one of best distro and we are lucky that its review by one of perfectionist IT expect like you mrk :thumb:

6. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

I decided I'd give it a try. Thought I'd try the 64 bit version, since that seems to be the wave of the future, and I have 4G of ram and would like to use it all.

First, thought I'd try it from a usb stick using pendrive-linux. Didn't work. Not too surprised, it wasn't actually on the list.

Burned a dvd, well 2 actually, but that isn't linux mint fault. :)
    So how did that work? Doesn't load. Get to some screen which is mostly grey, but has something that is maybe supposed to pass for bird tracks, so perhaps it isn't just an error screen. But that is as far as it goes. I waited 3 minutes or so but no further activity at all. Pays no attention to keystrokes or escape sequences that I can see. Re-ran and verified the distro. Says there are no problems. The usb stick hangs the same way.

I can't run ahci from my dvd, so had to run as IDE. I did do a search and found nothing that said I had to (or didn't have to) use ahci in 64bit mode.

So 0/10 for me.

BTW: I installed an ubuntu 64bit on this same computer >1yr ago, so a 64 bit OS's will work. Just in case someone was wondering.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Nice!

Thank you, Mrkvonic.

After that I'm ready to throw my Ubuntu 10.10 away. (I'll keep 'em both.) ;)

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Kudos from me, too Mrk :thumb:

I am actually posting this from my laptop using the LiveDVD I burned a while ago. Everything works except my TI cardreader but I didn't really expect it to since it doesn't work in Ubuntu either.

I haven't tried Mint since Helena and I must say Julia is pretty sweet. She might just find a home in my machines :D

9. mack_guy911

please check your burner and burn in slow speed about 4x also for pendrive use ubuntu 64 bit instead it works

if you still face problem with dvd version try cd 64bit version instead although no trouble with dvd here so far very good distro

10. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

What is your graphics card?

11. tesk

tesk Registered Member

I am also on Linux Mint 10.

Out of the box I did not do any configuration. I just installed a couple of softwares and it runs just fine.

12. midway40

I wonder since LMDE exists, does this mean LM is preparing to move away from the Ubuntu repositories? It would make sense as LM is beginning to go down it's own path. The latest LM blog states:

With these features plus the fact that it will be a rolling distro will probably put LM up at the top.

I think I will wait till next month when this new LMDE comes out before doing any conversions.

13. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

This could entice me to replace Arch(only on the desktop ;))
    But this looks like a great path for them to follow! I am so sick of the 'buntu

thanks for the news... Must get out of the Arch basement more often :p

14. DIgiDis

DIgiDis Registered Member

Mrk, thanks for all your great articles on Linux.

I think I am going to migrate from Ubuntu 10.10 to Linux Mint Julia. Do you think it is better to change just the desktop environment or do a complete install?

15. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

GAH!
    You _could_ keep /home but I would just back up that partition and then do a wipe just to keep the weirdo bugs away ;)

16. midway40

You're welcome, Dan :) Never tried Arch myself as I like Debian. But l noticed in the Wiki just now that at one time Arch used code names for their releases. I like the "Don't Panic" one :D

The prospect of a perpetual Debian Testing distro with the Mint touches is very intriguing. I can assume that LM will have to open up it's own repo for things like mintmenu, software manager, etc.

What I am wondering about is the future of Gnome with LM since they have stated not only they will not adopt Unity but GnomeShell (GNOME3?) as well.

17. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

If I run a desktop Linux distro inside a VM on a server (Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V) will I be able to remote desktop into it and get a full GUI experience?

I would like to try it if so.

18. katio

katio Guest

Yes, it's possible. The easiest way is VNC (for Windows clients that is) but its performance isn't very good. I like NX or plain X over ssh tunneling.
    I've never used Hyper-V but if it's anything like VMWare products, Parallels, VBox, Xen, KVM... it should be pretty simple, install the OS just as if it was on bare metal, use bridged networking, remote into it like you do with a physical system.

19. korben

korben Registered Member

20. katio

katio Guest

21. korben

korben Registered Member

thanks!

it means we need to bear with it...till Mint 11 then~!

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have a dual booting machine with XP Pro 32 bit, and Ubuntu 10.10. Does anyone know if i can use it as a tri- boot machine with Linux Mint?

23. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

I'm not getting the love for Mint. I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10; and and to do very very minimal configuration to get it ready. Basically all I did was:
    1. Clicked on the hardware driver program to install nvidia drivers.
    2. Added the multimedia repo and installed dvd and win codecs (one command)
    3. Added compiz via snaptic, and enabled it.
    4. Added my other programs via synaptic.
    5. Played around with the theme

Suspend/wireless/webcam were all working out of the box.

That is all...I do not see the need to have a different distro just for the above steps.

Is there something else that Mint offers?

Is it now based on Debian or still based on Ubuntu?

I am preferring Ubuntu a bit because of its larger user base, and the accopanying more ease in getting help.

24. mack_guy911

i think mrk should also review pclinuxos gnome 2010.12

its awesome i am no pclinux fan but when i tried mint 10 and pclinuxos 2010.12 hard to say which is best :D

25. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I be tryin this :thumb:
    good article

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.