Linux- Just Do It

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by PaulyDefran, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

:D Finally decided to make the switch from Windows to Linux for the machine I spend 98% of my time on. I played around with Ubuntu 11.04 a year or two ago, but decided to stick with Windows and TrueCrypt Hidden OS. As much as I like the Hidden OS (and I saved the drive, so if I travel, I may pop it in), I rarely travel.

I installed Ubuntu 13.10 *Server*. Yup, server and desktop are identical kernel wise, and you can install Ubuntu Desktop on the server. This allows you to install like the now defunct "Alternate Install CD" did. Manual encrypted LVM creation, *with your algorythm of choice*, and a boot loader on an external device.

Blocking all non-vpn traffic is as simple as a few ufw commands in the Terminal.

It will take you maybe 2-3 full days to grasp Linux, but if you can dedicate a weekend, you won't be sorry.

Just do it :D

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well i did it also.

Just wondering if you could share some advice on how to secure linux properly.
    Do i need an antivirus program?

I have the GUFW interface installed.
    Not certain if i need anything else.

3. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Blocking all non-vpn traffic using the Terminal (ufw):

-https://airvpn.org/topic/5586-prevent-leaks-with-linux-firestarter-also-stop-traffic-when-vpn-drops/?p=14095-

You'll be able to see the changes in gufw, but ufw and Terminal can do things that gufw can't.

Cool thing here is, you can disable iptables (the firewall) using gufw and have ISP access if you need it...just don't forget to re-enable.

AV shouldn't be needed on Linux, but belt and supenders I guess...if it doesn't bog down your system.

Disable IPv6 in GRUB:

Change the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" (if there at all)

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ipv6.disable=1 quiet splash"

Then sudo update-grub

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thank you kindly pauly.

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Yeah... Tried the Linux thing in the past, first desktop computer would not full screen because of my SLI graphics use.... The latest my videos stutter and the CPU fan runs 100% always. I used the reccomended fixes and nothing works. Let alone if you care about video games at all.... Yeah... I give it a miss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.