Linux Install Problem

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by hogndog, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I've been using a USB stick to run Linux.. now that i have another drive "D" drive I'd like to install Peppermint Linux to that drive.. Here's the problem: when i disconnect "C" drive my computer isn't seeing "D" drive.. it just says "installer crashed" anyone else have a similar problem?

tia.. *puppy*

2. hogndog

How about if i asked how to make "D" drive usable.. i got as far as right click on my computer, click on manage, click on storage, click on disk management find "C" drive and "D" drive highlight "D" drive go to settings and there's a tree with a few settings "primary" "extended" "free" "logical" "simple" "spanned" "striped" "mirrored" "Raid5-Volume" i just need to know which one to click on.. :D

tia guys..

3. hogndog

O.k. how about this.. Puppy Linux appears to have a pretty straight forward install, reading the instructions tells me it would be better to format "D" drive to Ext 3 then continue.. I'm thinking it would be safer to unplug "C" drive first before continuing.. it will wipe "D" drive clean before installing Linux.. i don't foresee a problem.. what do you guys think :ouch:

tia

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi hogndog,

When you mention that you want to install Peppermint Linux to the D drive - it shows that you need to learn a few things about Windows systems vs Linux systems.

Windows uses a different kind of partition to get installed than Linux. Linux cannot just get installed in a Windows partition and work - it needs a partition compatible with itself.

That said, the boot part of your hard drive is usually wiped out when Windows installs over Linux installed in its own partition, and thus you cannot boot into Linux.

If you only have one hard drive, it is possible to create two different partitions - one compatible with Windows, the other compatible with Linux. What is needed on top of that is to insure that you can boot from either via a compatible boot scheme for both.

Another option is to have one hard drive per OS - i.e. one for Windows and one for Linux - also, with a compatible boot scheme for both on one of the hard drives that delivers a boot menu to allow you to boot either OS you choose by using up/down keys and then pressing the Enter key to boot your selected OS.

You need to read first about Dual Booting both Windows and Linux prior to doing anything further. There are threads here at Wilders that address those schemes. Search for them and they will at least give you a plan you can follow that will get the job done. Don't start before you have a good understanding of what is required to get it right.

-- Tom

5. hogndog

Thank you for the reply Tom.. that's what i have "2 hard drives" XP is on "C" drive "D" drive is empty.. I'm attempting to install Linux on "D" drive all by itself, maybe i should look through the threads and find what i need to do.. it took me about 3 months before attempting to install Linux to a flash drive.. :)

Thanks again..:thumb:

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

7. hogndog

Thanks! I'll have a look at these tutorials Tom.. made a phone call to a shop to find out about putting XP on one disk and Linux on the other they wanted $80.00 to make it happen.. It seems so easy and yet one false move and your machine becomes a doorstop... :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.