Linux for beginner(s) - Q & A

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by korben, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

2. korben

korben Registered Member

Thanks guys, I can always count on you!

through Wubi I just installed Ubuntu x64 10.04 and if I'm successful with my endeavours so to say I think I will install Ubuntu 10.10/ Mint 10 on my HDD for the 1st time ever when they come out

should I key in all the settigns from windows? e.g. IPv4? [ my wlan is secured]

tried my best here and got these results from my terminal:
    lsusb
    lspci
    lshw -C
    ifconfig
    iwconfig
    please find attached to my post.
    h t t p://www.box.net/shared/sulm37bqys

I aslo tried to insert the IP, Subnet, Default Getaway and...voila! the wifi diode flickers, then goes stable, and I get the message: Connection Established but nothing in Firefox :eek:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  3. GlobalForce

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello korbin

are you using router with proxy

please check the following

1st check if you are getting ping from your router or not

2nd check if you add dns .....etc or not

3rd if running proxy

then from preference you see network proxy set it properly put your router gateway ip with 8080

or check

sudo su then put password

# vi /etc/environment

and add or edit proxy http://proxy.com to your ip address

example

HTTP_PROXY="http://192.168.1.1" (put your gateway ip address)

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xubuntu-9-10.html

enable proxy server and set your firefox from view>preference>advanced>network>setting>manual proxy configuration

type your gateway ip and port 8080 or if its different

i guss you might having dns or proxy problem if your connection is established

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. korben

korben Registered Member

gosh, that's not easy to digest guys

definitely no proxy being used ever

2] I did add Preferred DNS from windows settings :)

6. mack_guy911

can you ping to your router gateway @korben

7. korben

korben Registered Member

terminal: ping www.1.google.com ??

results in: unknown command + suggestion to run sudo mode [?]

since my terminal results aren't the most pop d/l this week lol here goes:

and some more info:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. mack_guy911

sorry korben i am not a expert but

if i was you what i did is

1st i try to connect my router through wire and set

ip address subnetmask

gateway

dns ...etc

then ping my router ip like for example 192.168.1.1 (i mean your internal ip of your gateway) and check if its connected to internet,

if its working then i update my ubuntu and install nspluginwrapper as well

then i see if i am using any usb or wifi card (network adapter)for wireless device i try to get its drivers by clicking it on hardware and scan it find if it then i update it or if its not there i search it from its site for .deb package or if install by default then i

set it by clicking right on icon network icon at bottom

wireless add or by right clicking it show my wireless there i edit it properly including password

set ssid

wireless securitty wpa wep what ever i setted on my router

then ip address is i have dhcp enable on my router i leave it default (ie automatic dhcp)

if not then ip address

like for example

ip add subnet (24) gateway of router
    192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

then i reboot my system or reboot the service

sudo /etc/init.d/networking reboot

if it dont work i reboot the system and check again if status is up or not if it still not working then i check the status of iwconfig and wlan 0 through command only than i usaly avoid setting it via command mode prefer gui more

point if try to set it with wire if you get it correctly i bet you get it with wireless as well

because required thing you can get from internet like for example nspluginwrapper ...bug updates etc

9. mack_guy911

so far i see is

wireless is intel 5100 which is by default given in ubuntu

strange why its not working

please check this as well

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

if these not work also check

http://hardc0l2e.wordpress.com/2010/05/19/intel-5100-agn-on-ubuntu-10-04/

if intel 5100 problem is old bug once you get connected and update your ubuntu with wire i sure it resolve automatic :)

also some times strange but work

sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager stop

and then

sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager start

10. korben

korben Registered Member

doesn't work, the LED flickers from time to time

ok need some time to muddle thru the rest of your suggestions, thanks a lot :)

11. mack_guy911

sorry its

sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop

and

sudo /etc/init.d/networking start

gossh i am on fedora sorry my mistake

12. korben

korben Registered Member

no go

tired of it, want to uninsall ubuntu thru Wubi and guess what - errors

thank G Uninstall-Ubuntu.exe helped

thanks a lot gents!!!

next: suppose I decide to install Mint on my HDD today [1st time not in VM!]- please direct me to the links I absolutely have to read before doing so.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  13. GlobalForce

You prefer a specific bootloader? Got a feel'in the other fella would link ya this page.

14. GlobalForce

15. korben

korben Registered Member

^ bravo!

now a Q no one wants to answer...

PCLinuxOS Gnome 2010.07

or

Mint 9

or

Ubuntu 10 - which I think might be problematic on my setup based on it performance boht in VM and Wubi...

or ....

guess nothing else - those appeal to me more than, say suse or drake, waiting for Fedora 14 and Debian 6 so for now only those^

and forgive my inablitity to make decisions on my own + slow progress but....the real advantage of haing Win 7 now is - I have my selection of freeware I really like and tested and chose the most suitable and configured to my liking and so on... whereas on linux it seems there's no one-way -ticket solution - everyone is right, I'm sometimes right, you're obv right, guys on other forums are partly right - hate it

yet still want to take the leap and try it after so many months of crawling into in...with yr invaluable help :)

16. GlobalForce

Return question(s): Can you start with a "wired" (meaning via live session) connection? Did you try it through Wubi?

17. korben

korben Registered Member

PCLinuxOS is out due to lack of 64 bit support

GF, no wubi, no ubuntu at the moment, lost my temper and threw it out of the window

On the verge of installing Mint now that some issues have been clearly pointing in Mint;s direction instead of Ubuntu.

18. GlobalForce

What about the "live" Ubu session - she connect wired?

19. mack_guy911

i suggest you to 1st check live cd of what ever linux you want to install choose 32 bit instead of 64

my suggestion is ubuntu

then if you get your get your live cd working with wifi then only install it :D

if you can wait a little korbs i am going to make a wireless tutorial as well :)

please check this tutorial for installing linux

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=50649

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  20. korben

korben Registered Member

32, really? on my x64 arch, with 4GB?

in the meantime we had a terrific storm here and was unable to go online so thoughto myself - i'ma try this freakin livecd of ubuntu get to work instead of wubi - if i can connect to my router - we're, as GF put it once, gold - in a nutshell, yes, i can wait

let me say it again guys - your support here is impeccable and faster than Flash.

BTW, out of curiosity - why both mack and GF advocate the idea to go with Ubuntu not Mint?

21. korben

korben Registered Member

I'm back!

This time tried wired in live cd of Ubuntu x64

While running livecd I couldn't get wireless to be 'established' even w/o making actual connection, nothing helped..no command from above...

then I put my router next to my laptop and used a physical wire to connect it - keyed in the freaking the IP, Subnet, Default Getaway [noticed that the moment I insert the cursor in DNS field Getaway data changes to 0.0.0.0, but when inspecting the properties of the connection..it's there, I mean my data...]as in windows

and got the message 'Connection Established'

still nothing in FF
    tried disabling wireless..nothing..tried the helpful commands^ and nothing...

I'm trying to focus more than usually lol and recall using previous Ubuntu live - I am almost sure it didn;t work either. The only way I could get it to work was thru VM...
    What's more - while testing several distros [at least 7, maybe 11] the only one that didn't work was... UBUNTU

are we gonna give up? ;)

22. GlobalForce

I advocate no distro - NADA! Breaking from the norm here on W's is hardly well taken, to the point I'll send my thoughts in private.

23. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I agree, as in no distro. Sometimes it aint worth the bother and if windows works then go with it. I advised cheater to do the same not so long ago. Linux just will not play ball with some hardware. I used to have two laptops that both had broadcom wireless cards in them. Though I could get them working, performance was terrible. After much messing around I gave up and chose the easy life with xp. Those laptops are now long gone to better homes but ironically i'm fairly sure the kernel now supports broadcom cards!

24. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The beauty of Linux is such that you have a choice, in your case, I would go for a one with the latest kernel. While I recommend Ubuntu for most, my friend recently bought a Toshiba laptop with no OS in it, we tried to install XP and it turned to be a driver nightmare as no drivers would work on a fairly new C650 Satellite with i3 cpu, not even ones on Toshiba site. We then install Ubuntu but only after a bios update from Toshiba as before that, it wouldn't install. Ubuntu detected everything including sound but couldn't detect the fairly new Atheros wired LAN, wireless Atheros was detected and was working good. The only other way was to manually compile the driver but the issue is that everytime there would be kernel update, the drivers would need recompiling and this is not possible for the person who would be using this laptop. The solution was to install a stable distro with latest kernel, SUSE fitted the bill and was installed, even though SUSE has some quirks in packaging and some academic programs like PSPS are not available, hardware works flawlessly. So the motto is use what works here, generally I would have preferred to give him LTS Ubuntu as he would then need to upgrade after three years instead of nine months on SUSE but then here I had no choice.

25. korben

korben Registered Member

^thanks for your input guys :)

update! warning! you're dealing with a case of a nutcase here, i.e. moi lol

while lying in my bed it occured to me the settings for wire and wifi aren't the SAME...

enlightement gents

the stat quo: no wireless connection with livecd

but

I located sth called Network Tools, used 192.168.200.96 and...successful packets 100% :)

Opened FF - it's loading...looking up start.ubuntu.com on n on without loading the page so I'm thinking the last obstacle here might be 802.1x Security - have no idea what to do with it..cause I don;t see the fields I could always spot with wireless settings [so it is so much different from windows and no one told me..]

It also asked for a keyring - I don't know what that is but gave it some generic key pass...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.