Linux Fedora help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by minacross, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I installed Fedora Linux CORE1 successfully. But I have 2 problem:
    1. My modem (Motorolla SM56 PCI Speakerphone Modem)is not detected. Where can I get its drive? how can I install its drive?
    2. How can I access Windows partitions where I have my documents and downloaded programs (Win/Linux).
    thanx in advance..

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Minacross;

Our resident Linux guru is Unicron. He is pretty good, but he doesn't hang around much.

I Google'd Motorola SM56 Fedora Linux and found some information that you can look through.

I know that PCI Win modems like yours were not supported in earlier versions of Linux. This is due to the fact that they are not controller based and do not do there own processing. They rely on the OS drivers and your CPU to do it. External modems and higher end internal modems are controller based, and therefore OS independent. There is a brief white paper here, called "Modems 101" that explains it better than I can.

If you cannot find a Linux driver for your modem, then you may want to purchase this modem, or this modem.

Close Hauled

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

4. minacross

thanx :)
    I will PM Unicorn to seek his help..
    thannx again guys.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  5. minacross

I managed to install Motorolla SM56 PCI Speakerphone modem driver package "sm56-06.05.00-1.rh9.i386.rpm" (from http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm#linux) with the command:
    rpm -ivh sm56-06.05.00-1.rh9.i386.rpm and restarted the pc as requested.
    It is required that I run the command 'insmod sm56' to complete installation but when I do that I receive this error message:

------------------------------
    [root@localhost minacross]# insmod sm56 Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.o: unresolved symbol tty_register_driver_R536a8785
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.o: unresolved symbol register_chrdev_R798ae190
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.o: unresolved symbol irq_stat_R95cc1909
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.o: unresolved symbol tty_unregister_driver_R88d97e89
    /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.o:Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license and it has unresolved symbols. The module may be trying to access GPLONLY symbols but the problem is more likely to be a coding or user error. Contact the module supplier for assistance, only they can help you.
    ------------------------------

how can I install my modem?

6. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Close_Hauled is overly kind in referring to me as a guru. I can assure you I am not; rather a guy learning like everyone else.

Some of the problems faced by linux users with hardware are very difficult to figure out even if the solutions is not complex once discovered.

Yoy problem seems to to stem from the motorola object file expecting certain defined variables/constants that are not defined. This may mean that expected software is not installed or not compiled against expected object libraries.

Unfortunately, from here there isn't much more I can determine. One thing about linux is that most drivers are retro fitted to the OS from current windows drivers. This is often imperfect. As Close_Haulled mentioned picking hardware known to work with linux is advisable when you can. Obviously if you are installing linux on an old computer this isn't possible.

One other possibility exists and that is to recompile your kernel with support for the modem. This will only be possible if the dist and version of linux had a driver for that modem available. Consult your dist's documentation for how to do this. It should be possible to determine if the driver is available during the kernel config stage so you can abort compilation iif it isn't available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.