Linux Distros to Wipe Windows System Partition Unused Space

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheKid7, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Are there any Live Linux Distros that have software to Wipe the unused space on a Windows System Partition?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Every one of them.
    Mrk

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

what wrong with ccleaner with option free disk space :rolleyes:

4. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

I used ccleaner to wipe the free space on my Windows partition and it didn't really wipe it all. My Ubuntu partition found some music files on the Windows partition that I deleted before I ran ccleaner. If it really wiped the unused space then Ubuntu shouldn't have been able to find the deleted music.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Were they in your recycling bin or temp files perhaps? The way it works is it creates a file the size of your free space and then deletes it. So if they weren't on the disk it should work.

6. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Secure wipe requires some clicks on its settings.

7. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

I put them in the recycling bin & then emptied the bin. The temp folder gets emptied routinely, pretty sure ccleaner has a temp file deleter that I used as well. Then I wiped it with ccleaner. They were no longer visible to the Windows partition- I let itunes scan the drive for music files and it didn't find them. But Banshee on the Ubuntu partition found them in an automatic scan of the drive for music files. Windows stores files all over the place, so it's possible there were copies in some odd-ball location that I didn't know about. (recent files maybe? shortcuts? oh, I reimaged it and the old user files got stored with .old appended to the files, could have been there.)

My conclusion is that ccleaner is a good tool and wipes the actual free space. It just has to be truly "free" space.

8. BCwipe, you have to pay but it's worth it. It has transparent wiping, huge array of wiping algorithms including Scheiner, DoD, & Gutman. You can also encrypt the swap file using Blowfish, Twofish etc.

Comes in Windows, Mac OSX & Linux. Recommended.:thumb:

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Wiping algorithms are snake oil.
    Swapfile encryption is a standard option on many Linux distros and supports any encryption algorithm supported by the kernel (including blowfish and twofish as you mention).

Unless there are other features unique to BCwipe, I can't see what is worth paying for ?

Cheers, Nick

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

did you try secure delete option when using remove free space

also like to add on secure delete i use only one pass option and do sometimes only not every time same with bleachbit.

i agree nothing is 100 % cleaner even with low level format you can recover some data :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.