Linux Distro's for PC Hardware Testing?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheKid7, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Having read the linked thread, about using 3 different DVD writers sofar, I'd say it's best to use a HDD manufacturer testing tool/program to thoroughly check your HDD.
    Also, reading there; "...a few times I get application crashes when the CD/DVD is booting to the Live Desktop." suggests that if you've used 3 different DVD players/rewriters but are booting up from a Live-CD, perhaps it's neither a DVD or HDD issue but perhaps a RAM/mobo issue?

I'd first check with a HDD diagnostic tool, so you can exclude a HDD issue.
    Perhaps also unplug and reseat all applicable cables on the mobo (after having drained all power from it).
    Take out and reseat RAM modules an perhaps also do a RAM test to exclude possible points of failure.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I had already ran a full check with Western Digital's Hard Drive Diagnostics. No errors were reported.

MEMTest 86 version 3.3 (on the Dr.Web Live CD): Massive memory errors.

Microsoft's Windows Memory Diagnostic: One FAILURE after another.

I guess that means that I need to replace the memory. My 1st ever memory failure. I may try to re-seat the memory, but I feel confident that the memory is properly seated since I am the one that installed it.

Next Question: Is it worth the trouble to return the memory to Corsair since it has a Limited Lifetime Warranty? I just priced replacement memory: ~$26.

Is there any possibility that some other failure (such as motherboard component failure) could result in bad memory test results?

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Ubuntu install ISOs include memory testing utility.

Memory modules sometimes just loosen.

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

sometime memory errors occur due to dust particles also due corrupted database in bios memory .....................best solution is clean your ram modules with dry new paint brush or best air blower if available and reinsert memory (ram) and retest again you can use same or partedmagic

cd as well testing memory

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=partedmagic

if it still show memory errors after cleaning and reinstalling then please check your hardware vendor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.