Linux Deepin 12.12 review

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If Pantheon Shell wasn't enough, poor Mrkvonic now has ANOTHER new desktop environment to review! :rolleyes:

And we are still waiting for Soleus' new Consort Desktop Environment to debut! :isay:

3. mack_guy911

its pure gnome 3 with not much change just like pear OS in look pearOS 7 Rocks its going to release on 4/4/2013

4. NormanF

Nope... its based on clutter and neither uses mutter nor muffin. Its not based on GNOME Shell at all. The developers abandoned the use of a customized GNOME Shell and began working on their own desktop. Its refined and elegant with beautiful Faenza icons and a stunning desktop that looks like a classical Chinese painting!

5. mack_guy911

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  6. NormanF

They wanted to go in their own direction much like Linux Mint did with Cinnamon and MATE. Making GNOME Shell easier to use was more trouble than it was worth and it wasn't serving their users well so they decided to re-develop the Linux desktop for their distro from scratch. I think it was the right move and it can only get better for them. Unintentionally, GNOME's "smartphone" disaster of an operating system has led to distros trying to do what GNOME failed to do - create a viable desktop. GNOME didn't listen and found users fleeing in droves and we're seeing the same thing happening with Microsoft on Windows 8.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

has anyone here at Wilders actually tried it?

what's the performance like?

anyway, it does look beautiful.
    i'm a sucker for this stuff, i might just give it a try. ;)

8. NormanF

I gave it a spin.... it seems to work reasonably well and depending on whether you want the 32 or 64 bit version - you'll find configuring it is a breeze - and the helpful user guide on the desktop will have you up and running in no time! If you do test it, please feel free to give us your impressions of this new desktop environment. :thumb:

9. moontan

tnx for the heads-up! :thumb:

i'm downloading it atm.
    i don't have time to do a proper install today but i'll run it live from a USB key to give it a look.

10. moontan

running it live from a USB key.

CPU and RAM usage seems very good.

it probably is the best looking distro i have seen to date.
    the display manager is nice and render fast and crisp.

i think i'm gonna install it right now. :)

11. NormanF

Of course - its based on Ubuntu, so you can add all the Ubuntu repos to it and have access to the entire universe of Ubuntu software as well as what's in the Linux Deepin repos. ;)

12. moontan

ok,

so i just installed this to its own partition.
    the installer is the same as Ubuntu so that's nice and easy.

on this 64 bits i3 machine with 8 GB of RAM Deepin consumes abour 325 megs of RAM, which is on par with most light distros.

the CPU is a little heavy though, at about 4% when idle.
    the whole thing feels fast and responsive.

the look of the whole OS is just awesome, from the icons set to the Software Center.
    everything looks nice and polished.

everything seems to work fine so far.

i will keep testing this for a few days but this look very promising so far and could very well become my main distro.

13. moontan

if you want to change your icons and mouse cursors, gtk styles etc you will need to install gnome-tweak-tool.

other than that it's pretty damn nice! :)

very newb friendly and easy to use.
    a very good out of the box experience! :thumb:

did i mention it is beautiful? ;)
    ----
    just one slight glitch.

to set the Taskbar to Auto-Hide you have to select Invisible. (System Settings/Desktop)
    and vice-versa. ;)
    ----
    i hope Mrk does a review of this.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  14. moontan

WARNING!

one thing to watch out for is that the default for the file browser is to MOVE (when using drag & drop) a file from a secondary drive/disk to the OS and not to Copy it.

15. NormanF

This new desktop environment takes much of its styling cues from Mac OSX and Pantheon Shell.

In my view, OSX is simply the most beautiful and functional UNIX OS ever created. None of that Windows 8 Metro nonsense! In their own way, the Chinese are building on this heritage for Linux by applying the most basic principle of computing: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

That simplicity in Deepin Desktop Environment ought to appeal to both newbies and veteran Linux users. And that is exactly what the vast majority of computer users worldwide want and need - to work with a minimum of fuss and distraction in a familiar desktop environment.

What's not to love? Distros like Linux Mint, Linux Deepin and eos have a very bright future as long as they listen to their users and give them exactly what they want!

16. moontan

17. moontan

more testing.

on the 64 bits version, it seems to have problems with 32 bits game and programs.

Stellarium and Beyond Compare for example won't install unless you install i whole bunch of dependencies and remove some others who seem to break stuff.

so maybe not as good an out of the box experience and newb friendly as i initially thought...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  18. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I must agree about the beauty of this. Am running the live cd now and had no issues with wireless connections or graphics when booting from the disc.

19. NormanF

Its based on Ubuntu, so Ubuntu programs should run. Your problem might be distro-specific - a few programs simply might not run well on it so that is something to be aware of, which shouldn't change your initial favorable view of it.

20. moontan

of course.

but fixing this stuff is beyond my capabilities, and probably other people like me at the newbie and beginner level.

hopefully, beginners who use the 32 bits version might be ok. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.